Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passed CCNA and was thinking of starting my CCNP

Options
  • 08-05-2014 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I Passed CCNA and was thinking of starting my CCNP.

Problem is, I am currently doing a managerial role in the IT industry after recently getting a promotion from a Technical role that I held. Is there any point in going for CCNP as I am not currently going a Networking job, I have an opportunity to go on a paid for CCNP switch, route and TShoot course in the coming months will I just do and try get the certs?

My thoughts are if I study and pass the exams, this proves that I can apply myself and that I am interested in the area. Although I don't the experience in Networking to do 2nd line support.

Would Linux/Linux scripting or python knowledge be good to have in the Networking area? Would like to get into this as a friend of mine who is currently working in the networking area says that he uses Linux most of the time during the day.

Thanks,
    BobbyT28

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

The question is, are you planning on staying in management or trying to get back out to a technical position? Do you actually need to learn networking in more depth? Could it make sense to get training in things like itil, project management methodologies e.g. Prince2, agile etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

UDP wrote: »
    The question is, are you planning on staying in management or trying to get back out to a technical position? Do you actually need to learn networking in more depth? Could it make sense to get training in things like itil, project management methodologies e.g. Prince2, agile etc?

Thanks for the reply, Sorry I should have stated that.

Yes I do intend to get out of this position in the next year. So would it be a good idea to get certified in the meantime?

Do you think Linux scripting would be something that I should start looking into? Have a RPi at home so could install Linux on that and start.

Regards,
    BobbyT28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Cisco is hands-on and much of the time you'll interact with the device.
    If you are not going to do it, then it will be nice to have the paper and on your CV but ... after 3 years you'll have to reseat the test !
    Your call...

Advertisement