Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Books about world war 2.

Options
  • 08-05-2014 9:01am
    Site Banned Posts: 27

Can someone reccomend some good books about world war 2 from a perspective of inside the nazi regime?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boomchicawawa

Can you qualify 'inside the Nazi regime'? There would be many books that could be recommended but you need to be more specific on your interests.

Are you interested in Hitler's 'inner circle' or the fighting men from one of the different branches (Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine) or The SS, etc etc.

Many books are quite specific, I'm not sure there would be an overall book that would go into any detail more than you probably already know....but there would be recommendations from posters no doubt if you could be more specific.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The most recent one I've read was on a key general of the Eastern staff, Manstein: Hilter's Greatest General by Melvin. Overall a vg read. It delved into the culture and mindset of the man, laid out his excellence as a general but was not unsparing about the brutalities of that war plus the willful blindness of Manstein of various atrocities.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Laurence Rees has some books worth checking out. Some have been adapted for TV by the BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

Two books that come to mind are Iron Coffins by Herbert Werner and Frontsoldaten by Stephen G Fritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Two great books I read was 1. The German Generals Talk by Liddel Hart and 2. Hubris by Ian Kershaw.

Anything by Kershaw is usually worth reading.

• Advertisement

p38 wrote: »
    Two books that come to mind are Iron Coffins by Herbert Werner..

U boat bio....read it.....enjoyed it !

U boat bio....read it.....enjoyed it !

yeah not enough U-boat books for my liking . Anyone got the name for a good book on the Japanese air-force in ww2 especially about the Mitsubishi zero.

• Site Banned Posts: 27 Bedtimebaby

Can you qualify 'inside the Nazi regime'? There would be many books that could be recommended but you need to be more specific on your interests.

Are you interested in Hitler's 'inner circle' or the fighting men from one of the different branches (Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine) or The SS, etc etc.

Many books are quite specific, I'm not sure there would be an overall book that would go into any detail more than you probably already know....but there would be recommendations from posters no doubt if you could be more specific.

When I say inside the nazi regime I mean a book which includes accounts from those who were in the SS or inner circle or similar, I've nothing specific in mind, just a good book of with genuine accounts.

Don't know if this is what your looking for but The Devils Disciples: Hitlers inner circle by Anthony Read may interest you.

John Toland's bio of Adolf Hitler is reputed to be the definitive book on the life and times. He interviewed many of the surviving inner circle in the 1960's and 1970's and consequently the information is accurate and told without bias which is how I like my books. But be warned....its enormous !

• Advertisement
Advertisement