Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partition for Linux Mint

Options
  • 07-05-2014 8:01pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Currently running Linux Mint from a CD. I actually like the distro and it's been awhile since I've created a partition and installed a distro on it through Windows. I'm currently using Windows 8 and I want to keep 8 for various bits and pieces.

What is the best tool or method to create a partition in Windows 8 and install Mint on it. Using Mint version 15.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

If you've booted in to the live cd, check if it has gparted installed. You can use this to resize your partitions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I can't seem to resize the main partition using gparted, so I may try a solution in Windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

If you're going to try windows then right click "computer" or "my computer" and select manage. Disk management should be an option in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

yes, your best advised shrinking a c: partition from windows itself, on windows 8, search for administrative tools... > computer management > disk management, right click your c: to shrink

You might need to disable secure boot to install linux, if your new Windows 8 machine has it enabled,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Thanks for the advice lads.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help lads. I found a crud solution to boot my Linux distro. I'll sort out grub eventually, but the solution will have to do for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

EasyBCD is a great windows app that will allow you add an entry to your windows mbr and install grub2 with the linux entry needed to boot your linux partition (Im assuming you installed grub to the wrong partition if your having some issue) :)

whb2hd.jpg

Advertisement