Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waters breaking whilst urinating

Options
  • 07-05-2014 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

TMI, but I got up last for my usual 3am pee and was a little bit alarmed by how much urine there was.
    It kind of gushed out, now it only lasted a few seconds like a normal wee but seemed way more than usual.
    Turned on the light to have a look (usually go with it off in an attempt to keep myself half asleep :p )
    It was normal looking wee, and I had no leaking before or after.
    I'm pretty sure it was just a big wee, maybe the baby had moved slightly so my bladder was able to release more or something!

I feel silly asking this, but I'm a first timer so now I'm just a bit freaked my waters will go while I'm peeing (I pee so frequently) is it possible to get it confused with pee?

Also, just another quickie. I'm 38weeks and 3 days, had a Gp appointment this week but just got a call to say they had to cancel it as doc is off sick and nurse is away for the next two weeks. Earliest appointment they could give me would be Friday week, but I have a coombe appointment then. Is it alright to just hang on until the coombe appointment or should I try get an appointment for a check up somewhere else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

emz8 wrote: »
    TMI, but I got up last for my usual 3am pee and was a little bit alarmed by how much urine there was.
    It kind of gushed out, now it only lasted a few seconds like a normal wee but seemed way more than usual.
    Turned on the light to have a look (usually go with it off in an attempt to keep myself half asleep :p )
    I'm pretty sure it was just a big wee, maybe the baby had moved slightly so my bladder was able to release more or something!

I feel silly asking this, but I'm a first timer so now I'm just a bit freaked my waters will go while I'm peeing (I pee so frequently) is it possible to get it confused with pee?

Also, just another quickie. I'm 38weeks and 3 days, had a Gp appointment this week but just got a call to say they had to cancel it as doc is off sick and nurse is away for the next two weeks. Earliest appointment they could give me would be Friday week, but I have a coombe appointment then. Is it alright to just hang on until the coombe appointment or should I try get an appointment for a check up somewhere else?

First pregnancy it usually does gush out.. If you're having contractions babies getting ready.. You should be ready too! Ring maternity in your hospital and ask them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Be interested to know this myself as I'm on my first too and read a lot about women going to the loo during the night and their waters breaking!

My bladder has been in overdrive most of pregnancy so there's a lot of times I'm weeing huge amounts like I haven't gone all day so I'm not sure whether I'd notice or not!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Hmmm with mine I actually heard a very loud pop, and there was no mistaking it, I got to the loo in time after the pop before they started gushing, but I just felt totally different straight away, like the pressure was relieved inside. I had no doubt that it was my waters. And I kept getting contractions, and more gushing with each one.

Having said that, everyone is different. If I were you I'd probably ring your hospital and ask to speak to one of the midwives, see what they think.

Re the doctor, I'd ring them and ask them to organise an appointment for you somewhere else, tbh. I think it should be their responsibility to make alternative arrangements for you, if they can't give you the scheduled appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

If you've any doubt about your waters breaking definitely don't wait two weeks for next appointment. Ring the hospital and see if they'll see you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

honestly go get it checked out, on my first something very similar happened me, we went into the CUMH and they checked me out as quickly as they could,

as it turned out they told me that day my waters hadn't gone as i was 2 weeks before my due date, but 4 days later when i was in labour the nurse said they must have gone then, so go get it checked out! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

I second the loud pop! And mine did gush on my first! You wouldn't mistake it for pee for one reason- you can't stop your waters, you can stop pee (if you know what I mean??). They flow regardless of what muscles you clench.... Sorry if that's too much detail....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

wicklori wrote: »
    I second the loud pop! And mine did gush on my first! You wouldn't mistake it for pee for one reason- you can't stop your waters, you can stop pee (if you know what I mean??). They flow regardless of what muscles you clench.... Sorry if that's too much detail....

That's exactly how I felt! I got a taxi into the hospital, about 45 minutes away, and I used two black binbags, two towels, and four maternity pads! :D As a precautionary measure. Because it's like that, you just can't stop the flow!

That poor taxi driver ... :o

(Thankfully the pads did the job, no damage done to the car! Had money on me for soilage charges ... just in case!)

That's exactly how I felt! I got a taxi into the hospital, about 45 minutes away, and I used two black binbags, two towels, and four maternity pads! :D As a precautionary measure. Because it's like that, you just can't stop the flow!

That poor taxi driver ... :o

(Thankfully the pads did the job, no damage done to the car! Had money on me for soilage charges ... just in case!)

HILARIOUS!!! I was so paranoid before the birth as we lived in a rented house and I LOVE my car- I was convinced my waters would 'burst' dramatically (no matter how many times I was told this almost never happened...) I bought sheets from mothercare and had them on the couch; in the bed; in the cars..... And then my waters did 'burst' dramatically- I'm never usually proved right with these things! :):)
    Also my friend has this awful story about her husband having to spend days drying out their mattress after their little girl was born.... :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭emz8

Thanks for the replies!

I'm sure it wasn't my waters breaking as it looked and smelled like wee, I just wasn't expecting so much, but my OH did point out the pint of orange juice I drank before going to bed. (OJ is my ultimate craving)

I guess that's my question if your urinating at the same time it would look and smell like urine wouldn't it!?

No contractions anyway, and baby is still kicking the crap out of me.

The little fright did get me to make a move on things. Had a pile of stuff for my hospital bag, but nothing actually packed. Plus my eyebrows and nails need to be done. Priorities. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Don't paint your nails... You need to be nailpolish free if they need to do an emergency c section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I've had two c sections with gel polish both times. Paint your nails if you feel like it, they can check your toes. My consultant told me she refused to take off her polish!

I had 2 week manicure and pedicure on for my e-section. The midwife asked me about it and I explained it would be difficult to get off. She didn't make an issue and they did the e-section and we all were safe and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

pwurple wrote: »
    Don't paint your nails... You need to be nailpolish free if they need to do an emergency c section.

I was never told that........... something new every day

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

lazygal wrote: »
    I've had two c sections with gel polish both times. Paint your nails if you feel like it, they can check your toes. My consultant told me she refused to take off her polish!

I'd suggest do either toe or fingernails if you must, but not both preferably. In an emcs situation I'd take prompt action by medical personnel when I'm going into shock over looking good any day. -edit: I realise it looks like I directed a barb at you LG, I didnt, swearz. I just meant that my default look is usually 'badgers arse' and I rarely use nailpolish. Having said that, I did have coloured toenails for labour courtesy of maternity leave boredom+ wedding to attend, but my fingers were unpolished and it was also glitter polish which was a bugger to get off so the midwives didnt have time to remove it prior to surgery. If it was on both fingers and toes I'd say they would have removed one or the other.

My waters were a trickle. A tip I read was that if you catch it on a pad, when you smell it, it should smell sweet, if it smells like wee, its wee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

If they are elective sections then there was probably no problem but I know that last week when I was being prepared for my emergency c section they checked if I had any nail polish on.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

January wrote: »
    If they are elective sections then there was probably no problem but I know that last week when I was being prepared for my emergency c section they checked if I had any nail polish on.

It's a bigger issue if there is any chance you need to be administered a general anaesthetic or other sedation (generally an emergency situation) as the nail beds are monitored during the surgery to check circulation and blood oxygen levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Get it checked, if in doubt at least you'll know for sure. I had my waters broken for me on my first 3, I was always told by the hospital when i phoned to have a hot bath just to make sure it wasn't a false labour.

On my 4th i woke with pains at about 7am so i duly got in the bath so if my husband (at the time :D) didn't need the day off we wouldn't be wasting his days. My waters went in the bath and i didn't realise!! :eek: i spent the whole day in a slow labour and it wasn't until 1.30am that the pains got bad enough for the hospital.

Because i didn't know my waters had gone it complicated the birth. They tried to break the waters but because it wasn't there it was my sons head that was getting the hook.... he had 5 gouges on his little head when he eventually came out and he was a mecunioum baby .. all very rushed to get him out after they did a scan and realised what was going on..

They went for the vacuum but i gave 2 big pushes and saved them the bother.. emergency team in after and a few hours of worry to see if he was ok ...(he hadn't inhaled too much thank god) but you'd think on my 4th that i'd know what i was doing.. hopefully the 5th will be more straightforward :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Rose35 wrote: »
    I was never told that........... something new every day

For any procedure where you will (or in the case of child birth just might) need to have a surgical procedure you're not supposed to have paint on your nails. Checking your finger nails allows the medics to see the oxygen levels in your blood and is an important safety precaution.
    It is also for infection control purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭emz8

I'd heard that about the nail polish, but had assumed that was more gel nails and shellac! Suppose it's better to leave them completely.

Just for anyone who was wondering about the urinating/waters going, I called the midwife who said there would be more than just that one big gush. So I it had of went while on the toilet there would be a trickle of more after or later on. She said to put a pad on to catch anything that does come out!

Thanks for the replies.
    This waiting game has me a nervous wreck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I'd heard that about the nail polish, but had assumed that was more gel nails and shellac! Suppose it's better to leave them completely.

Just for anyone who was wondering about the urinating/waters going, I called the midwife who said there would be more than just that one big gush. So I it had of went while on the toilet there would be a trickle of more after or later on. She said to put a pad on to catch anything that does come out!

Thanks for the replies.

Hi, there are fore waters and hind waters. You may not necessarily have a big gush but a small gush and trickle. This may mean only the hind waters have gone and the fore waters are most likely still intact. If you are still worried pop a pad on and see if there is any collection. There is usually only a big gush when fore and hind waters have gone (which I think happens more commonly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Thanks for the replies.

Best of luck :-) the nerves are all worth it in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

waters keep gushing and you can't stop the flow. On both my pregnancies the waters broke a long time before any contractions, and kept gushing for quite a while. Smell is different too. You really can't mistake it.

Best of luck with the birth ;-)

Advertisement