Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBA and education

Options
  • 06-05-2014 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi I'm an experienced teacher (I'm an assistant principal ) .I have a masters already but I was considering doing an MBA to broaden my employment possibilities in the area of education management and leadership. I would have principal aspirations but then I thought this might highlight other possibilities. Is this a good idea or not ? Really looking for advice ,information or opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

moggie123 wrote: »
    Hi I'm an experienced teacher (I'm an assistant principal ) .I have a masters already but I was considering doing an MBA to broaden my employment possibilities in the area of education management and leadership. I would have principal aspirations but then I thought this might highlight other possibilities. Is this a good idea or not ? Really looking for advice ,information or opinions.

I think you've answered your own question - you want to broaden your employment opportunities in education management and leadership, then that's what you should be focusing on. Look for an MEd in those areas - a number of the Irish universities do them. The OU also does one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Delphi91 wrote: »
    I think you've answered your own question - you want to broaden your employment opportunities in education management and leadership, then that's what you should be focusing on. Look for an MEd in those areas - a number of the universities do them. The OU also does one.

I agree look at an MEd, MBAs are insanely expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭moggie123

I have an m.ed (SEN) I wondered would the MBA giv me a greater field of expertise ,even in the wider community of educational employment. Thanks for yr help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

As far as I know both WIT and UCC run masters courses in leadership in education, maybe that's more along the lines of what you need than a MBA ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

moggie123 wrote: »
    I have an m.ed (SEN) I wondered would the MBA giv me a greater field of expertise ,even in the wider community of educational employment. Thanks for yr help

Just from looking at an MBA prospectus from one of the Irish universities, it is very much geared towards the business arena. I'm not sure that studying "Fundamentals of accounting", "Corporate Financial management", "International Finance" will be of much benefit when you have to make decisions on where you want a school to go and how you're going to best manage the (ever-diminishing) resources that you have to work with.

Having done a postgraduate qualification in Ed management I can definitely recommend that you stick to that area. All the lectures are aimed at the educational area which is what you need. Even the networking amongst other classmates, even over a cup of coffee is invaluable.

Despite any direct evidence, I would still argue that a candidate appearing for interview with an MEd/MA in Educational management and Leadership (or similar) would be preferable to a candidate with an MBA.

• Advertisement
Advertisement