Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching at second level

Options
  • 06-05-2014 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,
    I'm a bit stuck as iv no career guidance teacher. I want to teach ag science at 2nd level but would like to teach it with a second subject is there any way of doing this?

And also is there anyway of teaching maths if you do ordinary level at leaving cert?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

I think the normal route is do an arts degree and then do the teaching diploma. Not sure of the exact details. You could do two subjects to degree level if you wished, and therefore could teach two subjects.

You can teach maths even if you do ordinary for Leaving Cert. I know because my cousin did so and is now qualified and teaching. It may not be completely advisable, however. I know she struggled quite a bit with maths in university but my uncle-in-law is an engineer so that helped her. Not trying to deter you, more a caveat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Aislingxx

Iv been advised to stay away from arts and arts doesn't include agricultural science which is what I love. Oh no I like you advised me about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭dee_mc

You're right, an Arts degree won't count towards a teaching qualification for a science based subject.
    As far as I'm aware you'd need to do a Science degree, followed by a PDE (Professional Diploma in Education, formerly known as H Dip).
    Most Ag Science teachers I know have Junior Science and/or Biology as additional subjects.
    Have a look at page 21 of this link, it outlines the course content specifically needed for teaching Ag Science. http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Teacher%20Education/Consultation%20on%20PP%20Quals%20Dec%202011/10987_TC_qualification_req_WEBDec2011.pdf
    Best of luck with it, and do have a word with an Ag or general science teacher to clarify the best path for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LaughingOwl

There is a degree in UL that sounds just like what you're looking for. It's LM092 - Bachelor of Science (Education) in Biological Sciences with Physics or Chemistry. It's a 4 year degree and at the end you will be qualified to teach Ag. Science, Biology, JC science and either Chemistry or Physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Have a look through the Teaching and Lecturing forum, loads of info there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You'll need more than Ag. Science to have any chance of work.

I wouldn't advise anyone to go into teaching at the moment, but if you have your eyes open to the reality of the situation and still want to do it, the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

The science degree in UL mentioned above might prove to be the best option or look into doing a general science where you can branch off into Ag after first yr...also if you could manage the maths at all it would be a handy subject to have with the Ag because it's a mandatory subject at both J & L cert.

Best of luck

Advertisement