Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

floating shelf

Options
  • 06-05-2014 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭

would there be any future issues with using 9x3 timber for a floating shelf? I've been asked to make one but someone else mentioned there would be a possiblity of them twisting later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

would there be any future issues with using 9x3 timber for a floating shelf? I've been asked to make one but someone else mentioned there would be a possiblity of them twisting later.

What do you mean by a 'floating shelf' I'd imagine anything 9x3 ( inches ) would weigh a ton and need very strong supports. Some species are more prone to warping than others. Maple and beech are bad, oak and walnut are good.It would be an idea to bring the timber into a warm room for a month before working on it and getting the moisture content if you have a meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

As usual when asked to do jobs for relatives, budget is limited. They wanted to use a standard 9x3(which they had) left unplained and just stained as the shelf. A neighbour was to make up a support out of steel 40mm x10mm which would be hidden behind the shelf and routered to the underside of the shelf so hidden from view

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

You mean the steel support is set in a rebate at the back of the shelf ? I've made shelves like that for my shed, sticking some 18mm board into a rebate but they still sagged a little. A 9 x 3 would need undershelf support but if you ran a few screws into it any warping would be contained.
    I've seen 'T' bar brackets but the problem would be drilling a perfectly straight hole into the board to take the long arm of the 'T' , if you know what I mean.
    I'd also tell the relatives that unplained timber is a ferocious dust gatherer !

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IreJohn

What you will use will depend a lot on what you are fixing it too ? , Is it a solid wall? 9" blocks, 4" blocks etc,
    If its solid then there is no problems fixing it.
    Get some reinforcing steel bar, 3 lengths 12" x 1" , drill 3 holes in the wall 1" diameter and 6" deep,
    drill corresponding holes in the 9x3 , but make them 7" deep. drive the bar into the wall with a lump hammer,
    Line up the holes on the shelf with the bars and drive the timber into the bars, job done, floating shelf and it will never fall
    down on the kids ! . This is only possible if you have a 9" wall , If someone wants it on a 4" wall , I would tell them to forget it,
    unless they wanted to go to the trouble of chasing the walls.

One mans opinion

Advertisement