Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S4 mini battery life - problem?

Options
  • 06-05-2014 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

I have the S4 mini (bought it in October) which seems to be really hard on battery. It doesn't even last 24 hours. When I first got it it would say I had around 36 hours left at 100% but now the most would probably be 26 - 28 hours. It also seems to get extremely hot at times (yesterday my battery at said it was 46 degrees Celsius. Does anyone know if this is a fault that I could get fixed under warranty?
    Another thing I have noticed is that the battery drains very quickly from about 30 - 40% and just shuts down. I've watched the percentage decrease in about 10 seconds, '15, 14, 13, 12..', and switches off. Before when it was at around 15 or 20% I would turn wifi off if I had it on and stop using the phone and it would last a while but now it just turns off almost instantly. I should mention I turn off with when I'm not using it, have minimum brightness or low brightness, no extras are turned on, have battery saving apps and try to turn off all apps properly after use. It's gotten to the point where I can't use it if I go somewhere for a day as I can't charge it when it gets low (even after 100% charge). I'm considering buying a spare battery as I just can't rely on it.
    I know there was an issue with the S4 batteries but haven't heard anything about the mini.
    Does anyone know if this is a fault? I wouldn't be able to bring it to be fixed until the end of the month. How long would it take? I've heard that phone conpanies/manufacturers are extremely slow and often say that it's water damage (mine has never had contact with water).
    Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Have you tried a factory reset? It will restore your phone back to day 1. Backup your photos/music to your pc first if you wish.

Sounds like an app may be causing the drain. Install a task manager and kill any active apps and see if that improves anything before doing a factory reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I know of a few people with the galaxy mini series phones that has had the same happen to them also. In those cases they bought new batteries and it solved the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Thanks for the replies. It seems to be the screen that takes up the most battery percentage. I have all my settings set to use minimal battery so I don't really know how to reduce this further. If it's not the screen, it's Google Chrome. I always exit the app by long pressing the home screen. I think it's just a heavy app but I don't think that is the cause of the battery issue as even if I don't use chrome it still decreases at a fast rate. I've also noticed that android kernel and Android os are taking up a lot but I don't know what else I can do for that.
    I downloaded wake lock detector app after seeing it online and it says that Exchange services is the biggest factor but I have never even used it nor has it ever come up in the other task app I use.
    Does it sound like a fault with the phone? I don't want to buy a battery if it can be fixed for free by Samsung but I don't want to send it away for weeks if I'm not going to get anything out of it. How much would a genuine battery cost anyway? I looked on Amazon but don't want to get a fake.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Yesterday the battery temperature got to around 46 degrees Celsius and now it's 49. Surely this can't be right? Even if it's charging it shouldn't get that hot?

Advertisement