Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finishing the Leaving cert while working

Options
  • 06-05-2014 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am 18 and am currently in 5th year. Due to a few unfortunate events I landed in a situation where I started to consider working as soon as possible, for the benefit of both my family and myself.

What I would like to know is what options are available to finish my Leaving Cert while working?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Soobs wrote: »
    I am 18 and am currently in 5th year. Due to a few unfortunate events I landed in a situation where I started to consider working as soon as possible, for the benefit of both my family and myself.

What I would like to know is what options are available to finish my Leaving Cert while working?

Thanks in advance.

Its 20 years since I did the leaving cert but I can say hand on heart its the hardest exam I have done, harder than any exam I ever did in college or any professional exam.

You might be able to do enough study to scrape through and pass it. But you'll be a miracle worker if you can hold a job and get a good leaving cert result.

It depends on what your ambitions are in life.

Depending on what career you want to pursue, you could be severely limited if you dont have a leaving cert examination, or have a poor leaving cert.

So the first question I would be asking is: In what way is it to your benefit that you leave school and take a job, thereby jeopardising your exam preparation?

Bear in mind that "your career" is another way of saying "the amount of money you will make over the next 40-50 years". A quick gain when you are 17 and your earning power is lowest will not offset the lower wages you may have because you dont have a leaving cert or have a poor leaving cert.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

If you have to work, by the time the Mocks come in 6th year you should stop working. It would only put immense pressure you on to have school, work and a Leaving Cert to do.

Your employer probably wont let you work then anyway.

Just my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

Mr. G wrote: »
    If you have to work, by the time the Mocks come in 6th year you should stop working. It would only put immense pressure you on to have school, work and a Leaving Cert to do.

I agree with this. I'm in 6th year and I am still working and I wouldn't recommend it. You will not have time to study and do homework. You will be wrecked after work and will not be able to study effectively either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Id only recommend working if you know you're truely able for the extra stress and workload -
    I had to take up working this year (6th year) due to some family issues, currently working 2 jobs part-time - But I only did so because I knew I would be ok, I got 570 in my mocks so If you're dedicated enough go ahead, but Its tough going :o

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

Also to add to my earlier post, it depends on what type of hours you will be working and your employer's attitude towards the leaving cert. If you have the option to tailor or reduce your hours when necessary then go ahead. I have been (and still am) working 5 days a week all year - around 32 hours a week - including two 10 hour shifts at the weekend and it is tough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can do the LC through night classes in many ETBs.

You can also do degrees at night. Nowadays many people go directly to college from school, but in the past it was not at all unusual for someone to be studying three or more nights a week along with holding down a full-time job.

Advertisement