Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing machine and dishwasher water usage

Options
  • 06-05-2014 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hiya, sorry if this has been answered before, but I can't see it. In light of recent news, I'm interested in finding out how much water is used by my appliances. I've found some wildly varying general claims around the net, but would like to know specifically about the usage of my
    Washing machine: Hoover Softwave 100 (more than 10 years old), and
    Dishwasher: Tricity Bendix TDF 200 (maybe 7 years old)

Any advice on where to source the info? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

if you want to know exactly how much the machines use set the w/m on rinse and fill it, then empty it into a container where you can measure the amt, it does 3 rinses and a wash which is about a gallon and a half less than the rinse amount. I would hazard a guess at 21/23 gallons. the d/w will fill 4 times at equal levels. ps. you are doing well with the Hoover Softwave that machine must be nearer 16 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 28,895 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I had a similar conversation with someone today.

I remember (I think it was during a drought period) people saying that a dishwasher when run full uses far less water than washing all those dishes by hand (at the time they were encouraging people to use the dishwasher rather than handwashing). Not sure if the same applies to the washing machine - mind you, who washes clothes by hand anyway, bar delicates?

I'll be very interested in replies to this. Good question, OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 renga

Thanks for that info, Red Ace and Heidi. I was surprised to get an email reply in less than 24 hours from Electrolux (=Tricity Bendix) who inform me that the dishwasher uses 18 litres per cycle, i.e. about two loo flushes. So it looks like it's the washing machine is the big thirsty beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Allegedly a modern dishwasher can do a full cycle on about 10 liters. Plus most washing machines use a lot less water now. Generally German and Korean brands are the best for minimal water usage. Particularly German brands, as Germans are extreme at saving water

Advertisement