Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling France by Camper-van

Options
  • 06-05-2014 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi Guys,

Looking to do something a bit different this year for my holidays and was thinking of travelling through France by camper-van with my partner. I have the camper-van sorted but no clue how to start organising anything else.

Looking to travel in August for approx. 2 weeks (from Rosslare). I've been told it's best not to book campsites and just wing it...

Has anyone gone on a similar holiday with a similar time frame? Any suggestions greatly appreciated! :-)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Minidee07 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Looking to do something a bit different this year for my holidays and was thinking of travelling through France by camper-van with my partner. I have the camper-van sorted but no clue how to start organising anything else.

Looking to travel in August for approx. 2 weeks (from Rosslare). I've been told it's best not to book campsites and just wing it...

Has anyone gone on a similar holiday with a similar time frame? Any suggestions greatly appreciated! :-)

We've done France in a motorhome for the last 4 summers. Last year was the first we had to go July / August as our eldest was in school and we couldn't believe how many sites were completely booked out. Then again we were looking at 5 star campsites with children's activities for 3 children age 5 and under. If it's just the 2 of you it will be a lot easier, and that's part of the beauty of campervan holidays. Every other year we just pulled up where we fancied and stayed on if we liked the site and town.

There's loads of info on campsites online- depends what area you want to go. We've stayed in aires de service in the past too when the children were younger. There's a great book All the Aires which gives coordinates, maps, photos etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 snowey33

Hi,
    We have done this a few times, not in a camper van though and not in high season.

We have never booked ahead and have never failed to book into a camp site. A good tip is to get a few of the campsites brochure, pick a place and start driving that direction. This is what we do and often along the way you will find different campsites you like the look off. Another thing is try and avoid the motorways, less tolls and a lot lot more to see.
    Two weeks is not that long if your heading south especially in a campervan. We took my vw t4 van last year and drove about 12 hours( although my van was quite slow been the 2.4 non turbo diesel) straight to reach southwest, that way we had more time in the sunny parts.
    Anyway hope this helps a bit and happy holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Minidee07

Thanks for the advice Snowey33! :)

Advertisement