Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power washer to mains?

Options
  • 05-05-2014 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I've just bought a Karcher power washer K2.
    In the user manual they are saying not to connect it directly to the drinking water supply (not sure why they don't say mains). They also recommend using a "separator".
    I don't have a tap outside so I'll have to hook it up to one of the tap inside the house and all 3 available downstairs are connected to the mains. What's the best way to set it up?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Dublimax wrote: »
    In the user manual they are saying not to connect it directly to the drinking water supply (not sure why they don't say mains). They also recommend using a "separator".
    I don't have a tap outside so I'll have to hook it up to one of the tap inside the house and all 3 available downstairs are connected to the mains. What's the best way to set it up?
    Thanks

Does it mean you have to put the hose in a large container of water instead of joining it to the mains ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dublimax

From what I remember one shouldn't connect a system with a pump directly to the mains which would be what they are saying.
    Only other alternative would be to connect it to a supply coming from the attic tanks but that would be a pain...
    But I'd rather have it to the mains for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

From what I remember one can't connect a system with a pump directly to the mains which would be what they are saying.
    Only other alternative would be to connect it to a supply coming from the attic tanks but that would be a pain...
    But I'd rather have it to the mains for sure!

Or fill a wheelie bin and leave the mains filling it with a hose and the bin will feed the machine

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I suppose that if your Karcher pump takes more water than the mains on your spur can supply, then you are going to be leaving you neighbours without water and if they tur on a mains tap, you are going to be sucking water from the pipe connected to it.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

check the flow rate on the power washer you purchased probably somewhere in the region of 375/450 litres per hour

• Advertisement

I cant post link but its the K2 power washer from karcher.
    Few specs:

Inlet water Min feed volume: 7L/min (420L/h)
    Inlet water feed pressure: 0.2-1.2 MPa

Working pressure: 8 MPa
    Water flow rate: 5.5L/min

Basically i'd like to know if for the occasionnal use i can plug it to the mains or would that be a big deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

I think they mean you must not potentially contaminate the drinking supply if the washer back feeds so fit a non return valve on the supply. It is probably a legal requirement to have a non return valve on any device connected to the main supply including washing machines etc. I don't suppose anyone takes any notice of course but it is your water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

I think all it means is!... they are covering their ass, so unless you are a car wash for the local community!! well then work away :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Thanks
    Hook it up to the washing machine tap its the same thread as the click-on hose fitting. No worries about water pissing all over the kitchen from those stupid tap adapters.:)

ok guys thanks for the answers

• Advertisement
Advertisement