Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course acceptance (Politics&Int Rel)

Options
  • 05-05-2014 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey everybody :) I'm writing from Ukraine (I'm an international undergrad-to-be). Recently I've received an acceptance letter for Politics and International Relations programme (starts Sep 2014). However, I'm very disappointed with the next text in my Course Acceptance Form:

"Please note that factors such as the unexpected unavailability of staff, or a level of application below that which is minimally required to allow a course to run, may make it practically impossible, or prohibitively expensive for the University to offer this programme. If this occurs you will be notified immediately".

Does that happen often? Should I be really worried about that? And does anyone consider to start this course in September 2014?

Would be very thankful for any kind of info about that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

Hey everybody :) I'm writing from Ukraine (I'm an international undergrad-to-be). Recently I've received an acceptance letter for Politics and International Relations programme (starts Sep 2014). However, I'm very disappointed with the next text in my Course Acceptance Form:

"Please note that factors such as the unexpected unavailability of staff, or a level of application below that which is minimally required to allow a course to run, may make it practically impossible, or prohibitively expensive for the University to offer this programme. If this occurs you will be notified immediately".

Does that happen often? Should I be really worried about that? And does anyone consider to start this course in September 2014?

Would be very thankful for any kind of info about that.

A person from Ukraine doing international relations peaked my interest :L
    I did a quick search for the course code and results came up from 5 years ago, I presume this course is not new. I don't know anyone in this course but I also have never heard of UL cancelling a course at all. I presume it is just to cover themselves incase the situation ever does actually arise, or say for example, only a few students (<4) people enrol.

I don't know how much contact you have had with the college, I can email them tomorrow evening and find out more for you if you are finding it hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 valerie visconti

A person from Ukraine doing international relations peaked my interest :L
    I did a quick search for the course code and results came up from 5 years ago, I presume this course is not new. I don't know anyone in this course but I also have never heard of UL cancelling a course at all. I presume it is just to cover themselves incase the situation ever does actually arise, or say for example, only a few students (<4) people enrol.

I don't know how much contact you have had with the college, I can email them tomorrow evening and find out more for you if you are finding it hard?

Thanks a lot! I was going to write the college myself, but many thanks for offering help. I'm just interested to hear it from students :)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

Thanks a lot! I was going to write the college myself, but many thanks for offering help. I'm just interested to hear it from students :)

Alright well let us know what they said!

Alright well let us know what they said!

Well, they said this disclaimer is put on every form, just in case. And that this is a very rare occurrence, so there's no reason to worry about Politics&International Relations programme. And I feel relieved now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Tio07

Hi valerie visconti,

I am currently a 1st year doing Politics and IR, Its a great course and really interesting :) if you have any questions about the course I'd be happy to answer them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Guest321

Hi tio07
    I was thinking of politics and ir. Next year. What are the hours like and is it a broad course with a lot of career opportunities?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Tio07

Guest321 wrote: »
    Hi tio07
    I was thinking of politics and ir. Next year. What are the hours like and is it a broad course with a lot of career opportunities?

Hey Guest321 :)

Hours can vary depending on what modules you choose, but about 14/16 hours would be normal. A break down, you will have two 1 hour lectures per module per week x 5 modules then you would have a 1 hour tutorial either every week or every other week per module.

In first year it is very broad for example I chose politics, public administration, economics, sociology and history. From second year on the modules are more politics and international relations focused.

Career wise it's like most degrees in this area you can almost do anything, it is more about what you want to do and what your interested in... The possibly are endless! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Guest321

Tio07
    Thank you so much! One more question is there an opportunity to study abroad in the course?

Tio07 wrote: »
    Hi valerie visconti,

I am currently a 1st year doing Politics and IR, Its a great course and really interesting :) if you have any questions about the course I'd be happy to answer them :)

Hi Tio07,

As close as I'm getting to start, as nervous it seems, but it feels like I'm quite aware of the course and its structure now :) However, I can't understand one thing from the UL website - on the 1st year you can only take the courses listed there, or you can choose others too? I mean, I would like to take some law courses as electives, but not sure whether there are any electives on the first year?

Advertisement