Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend a singer/band for a second day of a wedding ?

Options
  • 05-05-2014 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Can anyone recommend a singer/band for a second day of a wedding ? There will be around 40 people there for a family BBQ in Cork

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Weddings have second days?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Addle wrote: »
    Weddings have second days?! :eek:

Honestly!!! Do you really not know? Sure your not married properly unless your wedding was spread over 5 days and you spent €40000! Wow are you ever old fashioned!
    OP the day after you get married your having immediate family to eat chicken and burgers and salad in your parents back garden. Why do you think you need a proffesional entertainer? Have you not got a CD player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Could you be any more disrespectful to the OP? Way to cast aspersions about an event you know nothing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kate!!!

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Honestly!!! Do you really not know? Sure your not married properly unless your wedding was spread over 5 days and you spent €40000! Wow are you ever old fashioned!
    OP the day after you get married your having immediate family to eat chicken and burgers and salad in your parents back garden. Why do you think you need a proffesional entertainer? Have you not got a CD player?

Why would I have a BBQ in a back garden the day after my wedding . You are making a lot of assumptions aren't you !!! Obviously the question I posted would lead you to conclude that it's at a hotel and not a back garden. Yes thanks I do have a CD player thanks for your concern !

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Hi Kate.

I don't know any bands in the Cork area, but go along to a few local pub gigs and you should find someone. We've been looking for the same for our day 2 and have a few options so far around the €200 mark. Young lads setting up, happy to do a gig and get some exposure. You want to make sure they are happy to play in the background though, as for a day two, people want to chill and chat about the day before and the music shouldn't really be the focus. I've been at some day twos where there was a full on band like the first day and it's just too much. You're hungover and in chill mode.

Don't mind the above begrudgers - typical Irish attitude these days. If you're happy to provide your guests with an optional extra day of free food and entertainment and they're happy to come and unwind, then I don't see any problem!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Ask the hotel for a recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

mrsbyrne wrote: »

How very helpful mrsbyrne...:rolleyes:

OP-In my experience, the suggestions from venues are not as good as the self-accompanied guitarists/musicians you find yourself in the city centre venues.

Pat Fitz really is one of the best lone entertainers out there and has such a vast repertoire.. Pop along to the likes of The Oliver Plunkett, Soho, Reardens, Electric etc and you will definitely get some names.

If you would be looking for a female voice, Yearning Curve are a great 2 piece from Cork and very reasonably priced... or try Romanza Guitar duo as well. SERIOUS musicians! :)

Best of luck with the search, come back to us if you need a couple of opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

My sister had a really informal back-garden BBQ the day after her wedding. It was grand but to be honest everyone was wrecked and I was counting the hours until I could go home and sleep. I think a lot of people would like a one-day affair only.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

My sister had a really informal back-garden BBQ the day after her wedding. It was grand but to be honest everyone was wrecked and I was counting the hours until I could go home and sleep. I think a lot of people would like a one-day affair only.

And the great thing about day twos is that they are optional, so only those who want to go go - usually less than half the original crowd!
    Personally I really enjoy the second day as it's a lot more chilled and relaxing and a great way to share the stories from the day/ night before, but I have some friends who think they are a ridiculous idea and would never go to one, so it's great that they are optional. :)

It's great that you managed to talk to "everyone" at the second day to know they were all wrecked, and did a survey to find out that "most people" in the world would like a 'one day affair only'. Fair play!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

The 2nd day is always some crack!!

I couldn't be dealing with a bbq at home, the thoughts of cleaning up after everyone. No thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

The Big Chill

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

What kind of music are you looking for Kate..The second day is always a bit of craic agreed. Just half the number of guest and your grand whoever stays will stay..

Is it this year

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Are you sure that everyone will be hanging around for the second day? It would be a shame to hire someone and then have only a few people stay back. Even if everyone is staying on you might not need to go to the expense of a band, the second day is a lot less formal and people won't expect it. If its atmosphere you are worried about a few good tunes on a cd can be fine, remember a lot of people will be tired/hungover etc so the atmosphere will be totally different.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kate!!!

Milly33 wrote: »
    What kind of music are you looking for Kate..The second day is always a bit of craic agreed. Just half the number of guest and your grand whoever stays will stay..

Is it this year

I am looking for something not so formal a small band or guitarist . I have a large family travelling so I will have a least 40 on the second day in a small area of the hotel for a BBQ so just looking for someone to play between 8-10 ish and the rest of the night will be a cd background music .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ill PM you there

Advertisement