Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sink waste convert to shower waste

Options
  • 05-05-2014 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

hi all,

I'm converting old (2005) toilet room to small shower room. I wonder, whether I can use the existing sink waste pipe which is going into the concrete floor and with and adapter to connect it to the shower tray.

The prospect of cutting the concrete floor is pretty grim, I could do it but I do not know how far I would have to cut the concrete floor to see where the existing sink waste pipes are going.

Is it possible to use this existing sink waste pipe as the shower waste pipe?

It will be for two people only and we can maintain the shower very clean and from time to time use chemicals to dissolve the hairs, to keep the pipe clean.

I know many people recommends 50mm drain pipe, but it would be much easier to use what I have at the moment. Have anyone done this before in the way I try to do it, any big problems?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Your sink waste should be the same size as your shower wastes, what size is the sink waste pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭cluelez

whupdedo wrote: »
    Your sink waste should be the same size as your shower wastes, what size is the sink waste pipe

I'm at work today, when I get home I will try to measure, just there is a sink ceramic support leg which is permanently mounted on to the floor, it will be pretty hard to get access, but I will try to measure it somehow. From what I tried to assess it doesn't feel as 50mm, I may be wrong.

I would be removing the sink altogether and I will move it to another wall, then I will run new sink waste pipe and link it from above into the sewer waste pipe which is going from the toilet (I will possibly use the boss type of connection), I hope foul gasses won't cause issue for the sink, I will retain the P waste for the sink. Hopefully it will be okay.
    Because the space is very very limited, I would need to do it in the way I described it. Otherwise I would enter into the shower tray from the bathroom door. With this modification I would just have small sink in front of me when I open bathroom doors, the shower tray would be to my left. Space saving and using what I have already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

It should be fine to connect the shower tray to the old sink waste even if pipe is the smaller type, but it depends on the volume of water, maybe get a high sided shower tray to take the extra water in case of reduced water intake of the smaller pipe, not the ideal option but it shouldn't be a problem

It should be fine to connect the shower tray to the old sink waste even if pipe is the smaller type, but it depends on the volume of water, maybe get a high sided shower tray to take the extra water in case of reduced water intake of the smaller pipe, not the ideal option but it shouldn't be a problem

I think about this in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Bathroom wash hand basin waste pipes are usually 1-1/4" diameter pipe. The usual waste pipe from a shower (or a Bath) would be 1-1/2" diameter pipe.
    Reducing down can lead to problems and blockages.

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Bathroom wash hand basin waste pipes are usually 1-1/4" diameter pipe. The usual waste pipe from a shower (or a Bath) would be 1-1/2" diameter pipe.
    Reducing down can lead to problems and blockages.

yes, i know that 1-1/2'' diameter pipe is a recommended diameter.

but if I am careful and if I maintain the shower, even if it means to use the drain cleaner once a month to dissolve the hairs. Have anyone done this before with success?

My issue is that opening up the concrete floor and not knowing how far I have to cut the concrete, may lead to large enough job, which may increase costs and time spent on job like that. I use bleach very frequently, bleach of then destroy the hairs, therefore I do not anticipate to big problems if I keep everything maintained in this fashion.

But have anyone had huge problems after doing such work and using sink waste pipe for the shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The over-usage of strong bleach and drain cleaning agents can do more harm than good to pipe-work and traps.
    Last week I had a call out to a leak and it was a shower trap that had quite literally disintegrated from the same such treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

best case they used old wavin pipe 40mm for the basin which would work for a shower. If its 1 1/4 it wont be enough for a shower. Just wont.
    K.Flyer wrote: »
    The over-usage of strong bleach and drain cleaning agents can do more harm than good to pipe-work and traps.
    Last week I had a call out to a leak and it was a shower trap that had quite literally disintegrated from the same such treatment.

Can eat rubbers too.

Advertisement