Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling on eBay advice

Options
  • 05-05-2014 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭

I am considering selling an old Hornby train set I have on eBay. It is the Eurostar set. It was only used a few times and is in perfect condition other than the plastic glass from one of the cabs is missing. How much should I expect to get for this/should it sell? It weighs almost 3 KGs so I calculated it would cost €14.50 for An Post registered post in Ireland and €39 to the UK.

I have never sold anything on eBay before, so what are the costs involved?

Any other advice/information will be much appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

VG31 wrote: »
    I am considering selling an old Hornby train set I have on eBay. It is the Eurostar set. It was only used a few times and is in perfect condition other than the plastic glass from one of the cabs is missing. How much should I expect to get for this/should it sell? It weighs almost 3 KGs so I calculated it would cost €14.50 for An Post registered post in Ireland and €39 to the UK.

I have never sold anything on eBay before, so what are the costs involved?

Any other advice/information will be much appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Parcel motel will ship to the uk for 16 euro in total.
    One thing that Ive found with UK buyers is that they can be reluctant to buy overseas. The way i came around it was to include shipping. While I took a hit on what i was asking in doing so, I still sold it for 40% higher that what id have got here, due to the small demand.

Also adverts is still free to list on, you'll just pay a small fee if you do sell. (3 euro for over 100, but its on the asking price and not the selling).
    However if it gets you your sale, happy days and there is demand for hornby in ireland, just not the same extent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭VG31

Thanks for the reply

The set is too big to send by parcel motel.

I will consider listing it on adverts.ie. Can I be paid by PayPal and send the item by post if I list it on adverts.ie?

What do you think is a reasonable asking price?

Thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Suggest you take a look at this eBay listings link below first as I doubt you're going to have people queuing up to buy a used set and pay for registered mail - which would indeed be essential for such an item. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xhornby+eurostar&_nkw=hornby+eurostar&_sacat=0&_from=R40

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

if you type the details into the search bar in ebay and then click on advanced search, there is an option to see completed or ended listings - you can see then how much these sets have sold for previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Thanks for the reply

The set is too big to send by parcel motel.

I will consider listing it on adverts.ie. Can I be paid by PayPal and send the item by post if I list it on adverts.ie?

What do you think is a reasonable asking price?

Thanks again :)

Look at GLS to ship it from a parcel shop. They ship up to 30kg for a reasonable price. It's all based on dimensions of longest side plus shortest side. So the bigger the box the more it is regardless of weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭VG31

I haven't heard of GLS before. I think it would be €33 to send to the UK with them.

This set seems to mostly be selling for about £50 on eBay.

Which option is the best for me:

1. Sell on adverts.ie (registered delivery €14.50 with An Post)
    2. Sell on eBay (delivery only to Ireland)
    3. Sell on ebay (delivery to Ireland with An Post and delivery to UK with GLS for €33)

Thank you for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ColGreen

I haven't heard of GLS before. I think it would be €33 to send to the UK with them.

This set seems to mostly be selling for about £50 on eBay.

Which option is the best for me:

1. Sell on adverts.ie (registered delivery €14.50 with An Post)
    2. Sell on eBay (delivery only to Ireland)
    3. Sell on ebay (delivery to Ireland with An Post and delivery to UK with GLS for €33)

Thank you for the help.

I send hundreds of packaged to the UK with gls every month, anything under 10kg only costs around 10 Euro, that's with a business account and a 13b tax exemption. Even without the business account it should still be cheaper than an post. The only time I'd use an post over a courier is when sending items outside of the eu or to island counties where an courier companies have surcharges!

Advertisement