Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good extra subject choices to take up at HL?

Options
  • 05-05-2014 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I'm currently in 5th year and regret making the choice to take up DCG as a subject. I'm confident I'll pass thanks to the project and my basic knowledge, but I just can't handle the higher level stuff. It'd bug me to drop to ordinary level because I'm aiming for high points and I'm about average student. I'm already doing ordinary level Irish so I really want a subject that can help boost me up.

I was looking at Economics, I've never done Business but seeing the papers, I could answer a few questions, and people have said the course isn't the long.
    Agricultural Science was another I saw, I'm already doing Geography (Getting A's in it) and Biology (Getting B's) so I figured I'd have a good advantage. The big problem though is that I don't know anyone who owns a farm, I know there are open days but as far as I'm aware, a teacher needs to accompany you, right? I don't know if there would be a teacher willing to do so because I don't even think there's anyone else in my school doing it.
    Home Economics was kind of a last resort subject to look at, I'd like to avoid it, but I'd also like to hear opinions of what it's like for someone to take it up.

The summer holidays are 3 weeks away and I was planning on using those 3 months to get through the coursework for any of the above subjects.
    I'm really just looking for opinions or experiences relating to this, anything would help, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

I wouldn't take up Ag science unless you actually have an interest in farming. With the interview and project it'll be hard to excel without easy access to a farm or a real interest.

Business is probably a good subject to do in a year. It can be vague at times but a few grinds in LC for answering structure and advice on the applied question would be useful. I can't give good feedback on economics because my school doesn't offer it unfortunately. I'd love to have done it though.

Whatever you decide to do, don't start until September of Leaving Cert. It's a long enough year without adding part of the summer into it.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Ag Science can be a lot harder than people think and the project is meant to be a complete pain. Economics and Business are your best options I reckon. Largely just regurgitation of theory and no coursework.

As for working over the summer, Don't do it you will burn yourself out by christmas. I've taken up two new subjects as a repeat this year and while it's been a lot of work, I had both covered for the mocks. Relax during the summer there will be plenty of time in 6th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Fert94

I'd recommend business or economics. I did economics myself and there's a good bit of thinking on your feet as opposed to learning off reams of notes which would be helpful in your situation. Talking to a guidance counsellor or a teacher who teaches subjects you're considering starting up would be a good idea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahkiely125

I do economics as an extra subject and im in sixth year. I attend two half hour classes a week. It was my highest result in my mocks. I also do business which helps. Economics is a good choice!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would suggest you just concentrate on the subjects you are doing. An 'average student' doesn't need to take up a higher level course and try to jam it into half the time intended for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Religious Education, gwan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

music . very doable.

Advertisement