Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing course after failing summer exams?

Options
  • 05-05-2014 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,
    I'm currently in a course that I really dislike. I know I'm going to fail my summer exams, and when I do I don't even want to repeat the exams because I don't want to carry on with my course. Can I reapply for a new course or can I only do this if I pass my exams? Also if I can reapply, are you allowed to postpone your offer for a year if you receive one? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Hi all,
    I'm currently in a course that I really dislike. I know I'm going to fail my summer exams, and when I do I don't even want to repeat the exams because I don't want to carry on with my course. Can I reapply for a new course or can I only do this if I pass my exams? Also if I can reapply, are you allowed to postpone your offer for a year if you receive one? Thank you.

Hi, what year of your course are you currently in? You can reapply for courses via the CAO. This may mean starting from scratch and loosing any grant you may receive. You also have to consider the college fees. If you're only in first year and decide to enter a new degree course next September you will possibly have to pay fees of around €7,000. Here's a piece the independent did on defering college courses

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/education/all-you-need-to-know-about-deferring-a-place-26470758.html

I hope this was of some help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Mugatuu wrote: »
    Hi, what year of your course are you currently in? You can reapply for courses via the CAO. This may mean starting from scratch and losing any grant you may receive. You also have to consider the college fees. If you're only in first year and decide to enter a new degree course next September you will possibly have to pay fees of around €7,000. Here's a piece the independent did on defering college courses

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/education/all-you-need-to-know-about-deferring-a-place-26470758.html

you may lose your grant and if you start a new course you will face some sort of fees to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭oreilly94

you may lose your grant and if you start a new course you will face some sort of fees to be paid.

Unless he is currently doing a lvl6 or 7 degree and decides to do a lvl 8 then he will still get his grant

oreilly94 wrote: »
    Unless he is currently doing a lvl6 or 7 degree and decides to do a lvl 8 then he will still get his grant

Correct I did a level 6 for two years and didnt have to pay the fees for the level 8 I went on to do, although I did have to fight with the college over the fees

• Registered Users Posts: 11 petersullivan5

Mugatuu wrote: »
    Hi, what year of your course are you currently in? You can reapply for courses via the CAO. This may mean starting from scratch and loosing any grant you may receive. You also have to consider the college fees. If you're only in first year and decide to enter a new degree course next September you will possibly have to pay fees of around €7,000.

I don't receive any help from the government so the grant problem doesn't apply to me. Why is there an increase in fees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 petersullivan5

oreilly94 wrote: »

My course is a level 8 and I do not get a grant currently

I don't receive any help from the government so the grant problem doesn't apply to me. Why is there an increase in fees?

The government pay for your tuition fees which is around €5,000 and you pay the other €2,000. If you change course after first year you have to pay the tuition fees for first year in the next course. A girl in my class changed course this year and had to pay €7,000 in fees.

Advertisement