Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler Stove and Back Boiler Open fire

Options
  • 05-05-2014 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi all, sorry if this has been covered before, been doing a good bit off reading on here and other sites regarding stoves but haven't seen anything specific on this topic.

Basically, I wil be moving into a hose in the next couple of months, in the front living room there is an open fire with back boiler.

A single story extension was done out the back several years ago to which I would like to fit a boiler stove. The room is not massive but is pretty open plan into the kitchen so covers a large enough area.

My questions are, how easy/hard would it be to incorporate the stove into the system? there is a pump on the open fore back boiler, would this suffice or would a 2nd pump be needed?

size wise I was thinking around the 12kw range, ~4.5 to room, ~7.5 to water, think that should cover 9 rads (think the house has 8)

any ideas, comments, help appreciated.

cheers
    sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

A few things to consider, the area that you would like to put the boiler stove, is that near where the back boiler open fire is? (is it back to back for example? If its not near it, are you close enough to the hot press) Is there a chimney for it or will you be building a flue? You say the house has 8 rads, are these single panel or double? For example, when you see a stove online/brochure it might give an idication that a stove can heat 10 rads for example, this means that it will heat 10 x 4ft single panel rads. (A rough guide is that you need 1kw per rad and 3/4 for cylinder and to account for heatloss.)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rufio777

hi and thanks for the reply, to answer a few questions

the rooms aren't back to back, the kitchen is between the 2 rooms. there is no chimnet in the extension so a flue of some description will be required.

to be honest as im not actually in the house yet, its hard to gauge radiators exactly, I think ill have to wait until im in, see how we go and make a decision from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rufio777

hi and thanks for the reply, to answer a few questions

the rooms aren't back to back, the kitchen is between the 2 rooms. there is no chimney in the extension so a flue of some description will be required.

to be honest as im not actually in the house yet, its hard to gauge radiators exactly, I think ill have to wait until im in, see how we go and make a decision from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 anyanswers

hi all.im wondering can anybody help me out as im getting ready for the second fix plumbing.i have decided that i want to put in a boiler stove.iv got my rads and added up the kw and its coming in at 7-8 kw.the room it will be in is quite big and all the online stove calculators are telling me i need 4kw.is this enough, the room is 5m x 4m x 2.4m.i have the house well insulated.i would love to go for something like the boru 600b insert but alot of people are telling me they dont work as great as free standing stoves,is this thrue.The boru is giving 4kw to the room and 11kw to water.so my rads are 7-8 kw and room heat is 4.how much kw goes to a 16x32 insulated cylender.the stove will be less than a meter away from the cylinder
    thanks all for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

anyanswers wrote: »
    hi all.im wondering can anybody help me out as im getting ready for the second fix plumbing.i have decided that i want to put in a boiler stove.iv got my rads and added up the kw and its coming in at 7-8 kw.the room it will be in is quite big and all the online stove calculators are telling me i need 4kw.is this enough, the room is 5m x 4m x 2.4m.i have the house well insulated.i would love to go for something like the boru 600b insert but alot of people are telling me they dont work as great as free standing stoves,is this thrue.The boru is giving 4kw to the room and 11kw to water.so my rads are 7-8 kw and room heat is 4.how much kw goes to a 16x32 insulated cylender.the stove will be less than a meter away from the cylinder
    thanks all for the help.

How many rads are you planning on putting in? Single/Double? and Size? Generally you need circa 3kw to get the cylinder up to temperature.

• Advertisement
Advertisement