Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is an arts degree good for a job in Events/PR?

Options
  • 04-05-2014 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Planning on studying arts in NUI in September. Subjects wise I'd be taking english,psychology,legal studies and either soc & pol or philosophy. On the website it said those that do arts can get a variety of degrees in the media inclu public relations. Do you think I would be able to get an events management/public relations job out of arts and would it be worthwhile? smile.png I was also thinking of doing an events/PR course in GMIT, only problem is I need a B grade in foundation maths, which I'm really struggling with but I think if i put in the effort I may be well be able to whoever a high grade. NUI is my first choice though so is arts in NUI a good option to get into the PR field and would prospective employer be impressed with an arts degree as opposed to maybe a degree from a direct events/pr course? Also just regarding pay/employment, is this a good sector? I've read up a lot about it and I really think I would love it.Thanks smile.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Feets

Late answer. From experience; employers would rather a journalism degree for the grammar and appeal to journalists u try to appeal to or a pr diploma because its a bit better to have theory taught by people in the know then no experience at all. Its more the type of people that do arts are more likely to get a job in pr as for example medicine students are hardly going to end up in pr. Biggest tip...work for free at the best or nxt best companies during summers.

Advertisement