Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German help

Options
  • 04-05-2014 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I got an A in the JC, but my standard of German has fallen way down since then. I always seem to do terrible in the letter, außerung and grammar section. My grammar is atrocious :L

Anyway, does anyone have any tips for learning german? Also, what topics should I be looking over for the written pieces, and what we need to know for the grammar section?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I'm kinda the opposite to you tbh, git a B in the JC but reckon I should get an A in the LC. For learning German Letters, Äußerung, Essays or whatever, Grammar is by far the most important thing. There's a lot of grammar to learn but the most important parts would definitely be the Word Order (especially with Conjunctions and their effects), Cases, and Tenses. Other stuff such as Adjective endings, Passiv and Konjunktiv are important, but frankly don't go near them until you learn the big stuff. As for learning vocabulary, I find there is no better way than doing written pieces, and learning individual words in a Dictionary or Translator etc. and just adding them into sentences. This way you make your own german as opposed to learning off sheets of phrases which doesn't teach you anything. The priority is Grammar, learn the rules and go from there, it's very easy to do and has been the most effective method for me. Other than that, doing an exchange will benefit you alot, it helped me, but most German that I've learned, has come from written pieces.

Advertisement