Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Yacht varnish

Options
  • 04-05-2014 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

I painted my timber doors and frames with Ronseal Yacht varnish about 4 years ago.

The south side of the house gets the direct sun and caused the finish to deteriorate.

The varnish is peeling now and looking bad. Its also exposing the raw timber to the elements.

How do I go about redoing it all?

Is it acceptable to simple give it all a quick rub and re-varnish or do I have to strip the lot.

How does one tackle this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

Hello danny
    if you are willing to to remove the varnish with a liquid type paint remover that would give you a better job, you would need paint scraper tools like a shavehook ,small nylon brushes are good for awkward areas, a cheap paint brush to apply the remover as it will be for the bin when the job is done,
    try not to damage the wood when scraping which is easily done, as its only one side of the house its not a massive job, following the instructions on the tin and sanding down after the varnish is removed it really is quite easy, leaving your door and windows like new and ready for recoating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Thanks . will give that a shot in the better weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Wow.

Thats hard work. took all day to scrap and wash two windows and a set of double doors.

Never again will I varnish anything.

Advertisement