Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Literary Journals and Magazines

Options
  • 04-05-2014 1:26am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've put together a list of the Irish literary journals and magazines that offer publishing opportunities. Competitions are great and all, but it's also nice to see your work in print and get it out there. I think so anyway.

I've the word limits noted for prose, but all of them accept poetry too, except the Dublin review (boo).

Most don't pay, but I've marked the ones that do.

The Penny Dreadful Up to 2 stories of up to 3,000 words each. Submissions closing midnight on the 4th of May.

Crannóg Magazine Submit November for February issue, March for June, July for October. Up to 2,000 words.

Stinging Fly Normally submit in February, June and October. No word limit. Printed submissions by snail-mail only.

The Bohemyth Online only. Submit 1st to 23rd of any month for the next month’s issue. Up to 2 stories of up to 2,000 words each.

Colony Submit up to May 15th, for issue 2, theme: trans. No word limit.

Independent New Irish Writing Page, first Sunday of every month. Up to 2,000 words. Hennessy Awards come from the published pool. €130 per story published. Email submissions to newirishwriting@independent.ie

Wordlegs Up to 2,500, or 500 for flash. Submit up to June 30th, including a photo of yourself.

The Moth Submit in May, up to 2,500 words.

Southword Submit January to March for summer issue, and July to September for winter issue. Up to 2,500 words. Pays €120 per story published.

The Dublin Review Printed submissions by snail-mail only. No poems. No word limit for fiction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Much appreciated. I have come across a few you mentioned but there are a few I was unaware of. Its nice to be paid but as a new writer coming late in my life its not about the money at this stage, but I wouldn't say no to a few euros!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Here are some exclusively for the poets.

Skylight 47 Issue 3 out September, next submission deadline TBA.

Bare Hands Poetry Online monthly, submissions always open. Anthology book published annually.

The Shop Submissions always open, snail mail only. Published quarterly

The Poetry Bus Submission window opens after each issue published.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll hopefully be sending a few pieces to the Moth before the end of the month. My cousin had some writing published by them before so it'd be nice to be in his company in that regard! Waiting to hear back from Crannóg and the Penny Dreadful before sending off anything else, just so I'll know which poems are still safe for sending.

I'm finishing off something for Colony right now.

And I'm trying to get something in for that Poolbeg Children's story thingie.

I've four things I'm waiting to hear back about now. Two at least I should hear about by the end of the month. Hopefully something will stick!

Wordlegs is finishing up this year. It's currently open for submissions for its final issue of new writing (the very last issue will be a best of). It closes on June 30th.

• Advertisement

Another one I came across:

Silver Apples Up to 2 stories of up to 3,000 words. Submissions on a theme. Current theme is "Box of Tricks".

Advertisement