Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost my phone - Any guides on what to do next?

Options
  • 03-05-2014 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, lost my phone last night (i think it fell out of my pocket in the back of a taxi). It's a galaxy s3 on emobile (with a cracked screen !)

A friend has rang it for me and it went straight to voice mail. I'm guessing this phone is gone and a new sim will be put in it.

Just looking for some advice on what to do next

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Hey guys, lost my phone last night (i think it fell out of my pocket in the back of a taxi). It's a galaxy s3 on emobile (with a cracked screen !)

A friend has rang it for me and it went straight to voice mail. I'm guessing this phone is gone and a new sim will be put in it.

Just looking for some advice on what to do next
    Did u have Android device manager installed? Or any other tracking apps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

If you don't have a tracking app, then at this stage the likelihood of getting it back are pretty slim.

Have you tried ringing the taxi company?

If you think you won't get it back ring your network provider and have them block the imei of the phone, rendering it useless to whoever has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

No I only just discovered android device manager this morning :( (horse, door and bolted and all that)

The taxi was one we picked waiting outside a bar so no idea who it was. going to see if the bar has regulars.

I'll go to the nearest emobile shop, as i can't ring them...

What about data, photos apps etc. they will all be accessible if they just swap the sim card or plug into a pc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Only if they crack your unlock password /pattern, provided you have one set up. Id get onto emobile asap and block the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Block it like has been said, but I don't think you'll find it.. If it's registered on the network they might be able to track it with the IMEI.. But apart from that it's gone I'm afraid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Yeah I have a pin for turning on the phone

and a pattern on the lock screen.

I was wondering if you can access data with the phone off, or before you enter the pin.

I'm resigned to it being gone, just don't want people reading messages and looking at photos... you know how it is.

Yeah I have a pin for turning on the phone

and a pattern on the lock screen.

I was wondering if you can access data with the phone off, or before you enter the pin.

I'm resigned to it being gone, just don't want people reading messages and looking at photos... you know how it is.

Well if there's an SD card in it yes they can see what's on that, just move it to another phone... But unless they take the phone apart remove the HDD and add it to another phone, no they can't.. And something tells me that won't happen... It'll probably be sold as broken and stripped for parts.. So your data is intact... If they can log into your phone just tell them to erase it.. I know you can do it on iPhone/iPad/iPod touch etc but I don't know if you can on android...

Borrow a phone and call the taxi you used.. They might have held onto it for you but if there's a screen lock they can't send a message to someone in your contacts to let them know..

Advertisement