Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kelly kettle destroyed.....

Options
  • 03-05-2014 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

So my friend is on a trip accross from east to west on a stand up paddle board travelling on the grand canal and shannon river. Its about a 10 day trip which started last sunday. He is camping all the way along and being self sufficient for the most part.

One of the most important parts of his kit is his kelly kettle which was great up to last night! Myself and his bro spun down to terryglass on lough derg last night to camp with him and we were using the kettle, we poured the water out to make tea and went to fill it back up and it had exploded! Its now destroyed beyond repair.

The inside lining of the kettle which is also the chimney is very light and melted very quick when there was not a lot of water in it.

Anyone else have this happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

aaakev wrote: »
    So my friend is on a trip accross from east to west on a stand up paddle board travelling on the grand canal and shannon river. Its about a 10 day trip which started last sunday. He is camping all the way along and being self sufficient for the most part.

One of the most important parts of his kit is his kelly kettle which was great up to last night! Myself and his bro spun down to terryglass on lough derg last night to camp with him and we were using the kettle, we poured the water out to make tea and went to fill it back up and it had exploded! Its now destroyed beyond repair.

The inside lining of the kettle which is also the chimney is very light and melted very quick when there was not a lot of water in it.

Anyone else have this happen?

It melted and exploded from not having enough water in it, similar to a back boiler on a heating system..

I thought they were stainless steel, that looks like aluminium.

I'd imagine there is little or no comeback from the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Yeah I thought it was ment to be stainless steel too

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

This is from the kelly kettle website.

Q. Can the kettle be used without water in the chamber?A.
    No - Never!

If you use your Kelly Kettle without water in the chamber you run the risk of overheating and melting the inner chimney wall. Just look at the pictures below. Note: it is physically impossible to melt the chimney, if the kettle is been used correctly and there is always water in the chamber.

Tell-tale signs that a kettle has been boiled dry are:
    • The inner chimney cracks (early stages of overheating)
    • The inner chimney wall has either melted through or become so brittle that you can easily stick your finger through it!
    • The warning labels on the outside of the kettle have bubbled up, singed and perhaps disappeared altogether from the kettle!
    NOTE: Your 2 year anti-leak warranty will not apply if you boil your kettle dry
    http://www.kellykettle.com/faq/?limit=10#Can%20the%20kettle%20be%20used%20without%20water%20in%20the%20chamber?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭lostboy75

they come in both stainless and aluminium.

Advertisement