Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Music, Composition

Options
  • 03-05-2014 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Does the 7th note always have to be followed by the 8th? In both major and minor melodies?

And do you always have to lower both notes in minor melody if the melody moves 7th - 6th?

Very confused

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

nc1student wrote: »
    Does the 7th note always have to be followed by the 8th? In both major and minor melodies?

And do you always have to lower both notes in minor melody if the melody moves 7th - 6th?

Very confused
    7th should always really resolve to Doh, it just sounds unfinished otherwise! Sing a scale as far as ti and see how annoying it is :pac:
    I'm not 100% sure about the whole 7th-6th thing, in doing that you're using the descending melodic minor which is good to show off but there's nothin wrong with keeping a raised 7th and leaving the 6th as it should be, (using the harmonic minor) either, I'd say it really depends on where in the melody and what minor scale you've been using up to that, but I'd personally mostly go for the descending melodic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nc1student

Thank you, say for instance on bar 12 on a minor melody I outline the chord of V and I have the notes D - E♮- F# - A - F# . Because A is in the chord of V does that not make it ok? Or will I just go to G to be safe? Just trying to patch up all the little things now in these next few weeks.

Advertisement