Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaking tap advice

Options
  • 03-05-2014 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

I moved the outside tap and installed a new tap fitting. Its a metal fitting and the tap screws into the wall plate which in turn is connected to mains with a compression fitting.

I used PTE tape on the threads when screwing the tape to the wall plate but I still have a very small but noticeable drip from the joint. What did I do wrong? There was no washer with the fitting should there of been? I've attached a pic for clarity! Also whats the best way to protect it from frost?

Thanks in advance,
    nb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

n0brain3r wrote: »
    I moved the outside tap and installed a new tap fitting. Its a metal fitting and the tap screws into the wall plate which in turn is connected to mains with a compression fitting.

I used PTE tape on the threads when screwing the tape to the wall plate but I still have a very small but noticeable drip from the joint. What did I do wrong? There was no washer with the fitting should there of been? I've attached a pic for clarity! Also whats the best way to protect it from frost?

Thanks in advance,
    nb

Firstly, use flax and uniwhite/boss white if you can. But if using tape I'd always use gas PTFE as it's much thicker.
    Anyway, for your situation, it's important when screwing in the joint, that you never unscrew the opposite way, especially when using tape. There is also a correct way to put the tape on.
    Hold the tap in your left hand. Wrap the tape onto the threads with your right hand, clockwise, as if you were screwing a fitting onto it. 7-10 wraps should do it

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

I'll give that a go so wrap the tape so it won't unwind as being tightened and once I've started to tighten don't scew in the opposite direction?

I'll give that a go so wrap the tape so it won't unwind as being tightened and once I've started to tighten don't scew in the opposite direction?

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Got that done today and it worked a treat is there anything more durable than pipe insulation I can use to protect the it from frost?

Got that done today and it worked a treat is there anything more durable than pipe insulation I can use to protect the it from frost?

There's tap covers you can get but I don't know how effective it is

• Advertisement
Advertisement