Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LTE bands

Options
  • 03-05-2014 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭

Technical question regarding LTE bands. My understanding is that in Ireland, LTE works on the 800, 900 and 1800 Mhz frequencies. I also understand that a particular frequency can be used for different things in different countries.

A phone I'm looking at in the States (HTC One M8 Google Play Edition - an Android handset, though this isn't really an Android specific question) has the following frequencies available, as per the product website:

GSM/GPRS/EDGE quad-band 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    HSPA/UMTS quad-band 850/AWS/1900/2100 MHz
    3G (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    4G LTE (700 MHz, AWS)

My question is, will the phone be able to receive LTE in Ireland, given it supports these frequencies? They are listed as being GSM/EDGE frequencies, but is that because this is what they are used for in the States, or is it a limitation of the phone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

No it only works on 700Mhz which is not in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

boardzz wrote: »
    No it only works on 700Mhz which is not in Ireland.
    The specs (not above, on major blog sites) do make mention of 1800 MHz (B7) LTE roaming though. Surely that's what we have in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

Just Eircom and Three

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

That's what I reckoned. Thank you!

Advertisement