Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Electoral Lists - 1909 & 1910

Options
  • 03-05-2014 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

Dublin City Electoral Lists for 1909 and 1910 added to Dublin City Library website - see : here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

This has only confused me more! Stupid relatives, moving all over the place! Sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Its just nice to see the name there although I already have them in Thom's at the family home over a long period of time. Just for fun I'll go through a few other addresses as well. Thanks for sharing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

As ever, more records just make some mysteries worse! Have someone registered who would have been significantly under-age (female so >30 at the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I just had a look for Tramway Cottages, Highfield Road and it doesn't appear to be on it. I know it was part of the Rathmines township but I thought it was part of the Dublin Corporation area by then. Any ideas, Shane?

BTW, Tramway Cottages is now Highfield Grove.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

chughes wrote: »
    I just had a look for Tramway Cottages, Highfield Road and it doesn't appear to be on it. I know it was part of the Rathmines township but I thought it was part of the Dublin Corporation area by then. Any ideas, Shane?

BTW, Tramway Cottages is now Highfield Grove.

definitely borderline area for inclusion in City lists - parts of Rathgar and Rathmines were in the city, depending on the dates involved. On the 1910 list I dont see the nearest major streets, Rathgar Rd and Highfield Rd. mentioned on the browse list, which would make me think the municipal boundary was slightly north of this area.

• Advertisement

shanew wrote: »
    definitely borderline area for inclusion in City lists - parts of Rathgar and Rathmines were in the city, depending on the dates involved. On the 1910 list I dont see the nearest major streets, Rathgar Rd and Highfield Rd. mentioned on the browse list, which would make me think the municipal boundary was slightly north of this area.
    I thought I read somewhere that the townships were integrated into the Dublin Corporation area around 1900. This would have included the likes of Pembroke and Drumcondra, as well as Rathmines. I wonder what electoral area Tramway Cottages was in then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I always though Tramway Cottages was Terenure but that's probably not helpful to you....sorry for interrupting.

I think the border for the 1908/1910 electoral lists is the canal - e.g. Leeson Street Lower is included but not Leeson St. Upr., Richmond St is included but I dont see any of Rathmines.

Parts of the northside are included outside the older city boundaries - e.g. Glasnevin and Clontarf, so the inclusion of these suburbs in city voters lists had started by 1910. Thom's 1914 mentioned that Rathmines is an Urban District, and 'suburban to the metropolitan'. Both Clontarf and Drumcondra are listed as '.. amalgamated with the City of Dublin by act. of Parliament 1900'

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I always though Tramway Cottages was Terenure but that's probably not helpful to you....sorry for interrupting.
    You're not interrupting JB, glad for the input.

On the various birth and death certs I have for family members who were born or died at this address, its been called Tramway Cottages, Tram Cottages, and even Tram Terrace. I know that there were also Tramway Cottages in Terenure, Donnybrook, and Clontarf. The guys in DUTC who would have been responsible for naming these names must have had little imagination :)

Thom's 1938 includes a note in the 'Rathmines & Rathgar', listing that it was 'Amalgamated with the City 1930', and Highfield Rd. is included in the 1939 lists. Most if not all of Highfield Rd. seems to be in Rathgar townland, and in 1914 (28) Dublin United Tramway cottages are mentioned between numbers 4 and 12 Highfield Rd. (the even numbers skip a few - looks like they still do.)

• Advertisement

in case it's of interest to anyone else with DUTC ancestors - there are 24 Tramway Cottages listed at Terenure Rd. South, and also a Tramway villas (9x) on Terenure Rd. North

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bartleby101

Thanks Shane - fair play to the Library for adding another jigsaw piece for seekers of the past. Info for my grandparents in the electoral rolls solved puzzle of their address in 1911 census.

Advertisement