Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove size ideas?

Options
  • 03-05-2014 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi I'm in the middle of building an extension off our kitchen / diner it's about 18m2 but has a high vaulted ceiling approx 12ft floor to ceiling. We were thinking of putting in a stove with the flue running up inside the room. There is no internal door running between the kitchen / diner and the extension. Can anyone advise what size stove we should go for and recommend a brand. Unfortunately it wasn't possible to go for a back boiler so it will just be a room heater. Some people have advised us that as the flue is inside the heat off it will be unbearable, does anyone know if this is true and will the heat from the stove also heat the kitchen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭richieburke01

I would have the flue inside for heat gain but it would be single wall flue before changing into twin wall insulated flue before leaving the building
    I find Hunter a good decent make
    But there is loads of different brands and styles out there

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

77millie77 wrote: »
    Hi I'm in the middle of building an extension off our kitchen / diner it's about 18m2 but has a high vaulted ceiling approx 12ft floor to ceiling. We were thinking of putting in a stove with the flue running up inside the room. There is no internal door running between the kitchen / diner and the extension. Can anyone advise what size stove we should go for and recommend a brand. Unfortunately it wasn't possible to go for a back boiler so it will just be a room heater. Some people have advised us that as the flue is inside the heat off it will be unbearable, does anyone know if this is true and will the heat from the stove also heat the kitchen?

I'd agree with Richie, you gain so much more heat by having the flue inside, but choose your stove size wisely. You'd probably be looking at 8kw (mainly due to the high ceiling). One thing to consider is the flue leaving the house, for ideal conditions the flue outside should (for best results) be above the highest point of the house. Do you think that this will be the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 77millie77

Thanks for your advice Richie and the real Macoy, will have to check with our builder about the flue leaving the house. He's very good so hopefully will have this sorted.

Advertisement