Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology

Options
  • 02-05-2014 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Ok - here's the scenario.

I intended to do a 1500 time trial today and I had a finis tempo beep in my hat. After 500 m the beep was telling me, I wasn't going to get a final result I wanted so I cut my losses at 800m and did a further 8 x 100 at a higher rate.

My question is - does anyone have any tips or tricks to motivate yourself in the course of a longer race, such that the lethargy doesn't over rule. In the case of today I felt tired at 500 m but then I was able to turn over better 100s.

I understand that basically I'm talking about tiredness but if I could get some convincing arguments into my head that may have worked for others, I think Id be doing better.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Freddio wrote: »

I intended to do a 1500 time trial today and I had a finis tempo beep in my hat. After 500 m the beep was telling me, I wasn't going to get a final result I wanted so I cut my losses at 800m and did a further 8 x 100 at a higher rate.

My question is - does anyone have any tips or tricks to motivate yourself in the course of a longer race, such that the lethargy does over rule. In the case of today I felt tired at 500 m but then I was able to turn over better 100s.

I understand that basically Im talking about tiredness but if I could get some convincing arguments into my head that may have worked for others, I think Id be doing better.

Interesting question. My read of the above is that you let a beep tell you to quit. If you had continued on your TT, you might have been slower than your goal time, but would have set a useful marker. As it stands, you quit way before the finish line, and thats less useful than giving it your best till the wall. I used to train kids for a few seasons (running, not swimming, but the principle is the same) and drilled in to them "you always run to the line". Basically, they should be ashamed if they quit midway, but proud if they gave it what they got all the way to the line. There was a huge variety of sizes and abilities at the start of each season, (and the ones winning at the start were often the ones winning at the end), but the ones who always made the most individual progress throughout the season were the ones who were in difficulty mid-race, but who struggled through that and ran 100% through to the finish line, spent.

So I'd suggest you get used to the idea of not ever quitting in a race or TT. Do whatever it takes to get through the next length, then the next... and pretty soon you'll be kicking the legs with 50m to go. Count down slowly from 10 during the length, or focus on your form, or "treat" yourself to one length with greater kick... whatever it takes to distract your mind from the pain. But mostly never, ever, quit during the swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

Your right - I did let the beep convince me and I wouldn't ordinarily use the things.

I would normally stick it out to the end but half way through it gets sloppy and slower and that is the point at which what I want and what I am doing split.

Your right - I did let the beep convince me and I wouldn't ordinarily use the things.

I would normally stick it out to the end but half way through it gets sloppy and slower and that is the point at which what I want and what I am doing split.

That sounds like a pacing issue TBH- no point in swimming 700m with diabolical form all right. Put it like this- you know you can hit 800m at your goal pace, and then form collapses. Next time aim for 1,000 at this pace, then 1,200m, than you go for your 1,500.

(Caveat emptor- I just did a 400TT in 1:18,1:31,1:37,1:34, with terrible form over the last 200, so my 2c mightn't be worth very much;))

Its not diabolical form so much as being stuck in a rut of lethargy from that point on if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    (Caveat emptor- I just did a 400TT in 1:18,1:31,1:37,1:34, with terrible form over the last 200, so my 2c mightn't be worth very much;))

Kurt 6min for a 400m is a great time, best I've done this year is a 5:55. Haven't gone back to doing them but must. Obviously if you hadn't of gone out fast on the first 100m and paced yourself you could get that down further.

On the giving up, been there have the T-shirt. But if you tried it tomorrow you may have a different result. Some days are just like that, your flying or a sack of spuds. My worst thing I suppose is when I'm doing an open water swim, I catch up to a few and pass them then you think your doing great and some other stronger swimmer starts to pass you. It can be a pain and psychologically it can mess with your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

I felt tired at 500 m but then I was able to turn over better 100s.

Were you warmed up properly? I'd do at least a km warm up if i was doing a tt of that length.

mad m wrote: »
    Kurt 5:20 for a 400m is a great time, best I've done this year is a 5:55.

You still beat me, at swimming if not at math;)

Thinking more about the psychology aspect, I've been at what I thought was the red line (just under anaerobic threshold) during races, and have been racing a few for the final 400m. Forcing myself to go faster, I've found an extra gear, which would suggest there is plenty of room beyond the limit of when your Central Governor says "stop". I guess the magic pill is knowing how to suppress this voice that is telling the body to shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Haha......sorry.....had a brain drain....don't know why I just added them up like that....:rolleyes:

Thinking more about this, I do think the tempo beep has a lot to answer for. As soon as you stop making ground on the beep you have the notion it's getting bad. I think a colleague at the same level beside you is possibly a much better way of pacing and also getting you to grit your teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

My question is - does anyone have any tips or tricks to motivate yourself in the course of a longer race, such that the lethargy doesn't over rule. In the case of today I felt tired at 500 m but then I was able to turn over better 100s.

I understand that basically I'm talking about tiredness but if I could get some convincing arguments into my head that may have worked for others, I think Id be doing better.

I did a 1500TT recently and although I didn't have a 'beep' I had moments at 400 and again at 750 where I wanted to back out, but I didn't.

A couple of things
    1. Your approach. Visualise the test. Visualise a point during it where you know it will start to hurt. Visualise the pain of the last 400. Visualise the mark you are most likely to bail. Now visualise your positive response to each scenario. If you set yourself up to feel the hurt, when it comes on you can convince yourself that it is the normal feeling. Essentially you distract from the pain to another thought process and before you know it you pass the point and settle into that new place.
    2. Allow yourself 2 bogey lengths that will feel slower than others (not including the last 400) even if they actually are not. When you have a mentally 'off' length you can again distract yourself with the one you have left
    3. Counting. Just 10 more strokes, just 10 more, just 10 more, OK 20, 20 more, it hurts, 10 more, big kick off the wall for next 5 lengths, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, pass that guy with a push, get on his feet and... GO! OK that hurt, my lungs hurt, cruise 10, breathe, breathe, let's catch him again... Etc...
    4. You signed up for the pain, learn to push through it. Aim for a point of no return. I know that if I hit 1200 I'll finish no matter what and you generally have no problem emptying the tank on the last 100. You just have to practice hurting. Do sets that hurt and when you are done, do a flat out 200 when you think you can't.. You just have to excpose the body to the pain cave to help it understand that you won't die!
    5. Technical distraction. If you feel at some point you cannot pour more effort in, instead of swimming harder, swim better! Squeeze another inch out of your reach? Where is your elbow? Sharpen up your catch etc...
    6. Hang on.... You will never regret a fail through your best effort

• Advertisement

Thanks Shotgun.

They are the answers I was looking for. You have hit it spot on about the 400 / 750 mark and the wave of regret at those points. As I re read your post I am thinking that while when you are knackered and holding on and unable to concentrate, that the one thing you have in these races is plenty of time to think (if you can look beyond the panic).

You have given plenty of thoughts to focus on.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭banjobongo

Ive done plenty of 1500m swims over the years and here are a few tips from my perspective:
    try to mantain a steady stroke count;
    I count down the 100m and keep repeating the number of 100ms I have done so I dont forget;
    I also try to remember what my target time is;
    try to accelerate into and out of the turn;
    on the last 400m, you are nearly there, start preparing mentally for the 200m sprint and on the 100m sprint go all out!

Thanks Banjo, I have a 1500 race in a weeks time so hopefully I can keep everyone's pearls of wisdom in my head.

Finelli wrote: »
    3k pool incl.1500TT

Saw this on the swim log table... well?:)

Advertisement