Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free MCSA 2012 course with FAS for unemployed

Options
  • 02-05-2014 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I've been unemployed for a few months now, just looking through Fas's courses on their website and I'm surprised to see they have an MCSA Windows Server course starting in July in Dublin as I've heard its a pretty good course and will be in demand , I have an N+, just wondering could anyone give any advice on the MCSA server, is it a good course to go for , for someone who has experience in desktop support and wants to move up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

APJAMES wrote: »
    I've been unemployed for a few months now, just looking through Fas's courses and I'm surprised to see they have an MCSA Windows Server course starting in July in Dublin as I've heard its a pretty good course and will be in demand , I have an N+, just wondering could anyone give any advice on the MCSA server, is it a good course to go for , for someone who has experience in desktop support and wants to move up?

Definitely, jump all over the chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I've been unemployed for a few months now, just looking through Fas's courses on their website and I'm surprised to see they have an MCSA Windows Server course starting in July in Dublin as I've heard its a pretty good course and will be in demand , I have an N+, just wondering could anyone give any advice on the MCSA server, is it a good course to go for , for someone who has experience in desktop support and wants to move up?

Self studying it myself. Definetly go for it if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

if you want an honest Opinion from somebody who did the MCSA 2008 course..... stay away from any FAS course... Our instructure or i wouldnt even call him that just read a book for 8 weeks for the network infrastructure,, no examples, no nothing just got the old "sure its simple enough stuff lads" these guys need to be gotten rid of asap and replaced by people who have actually a passion for teaching this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10 APJAMES

Thanks Steinberg, do you know any more on who the company that the provider was working for, or where you did it? I've heard FAS outsource it to companies, and have heard good and bad things about them.

Thanks Steinberg, do you know any more on who the company that the provider was working for, or where you did it? I've heard FAS outsource it to companies, and have heard good and bad things about them.

I did the course in FAS own test center here in Cork.. The trainer was actually a FAS employee. I also did the Comptia Network+ through FAS but that was outsourced to Hartley People, i think there in Waterford and they got a trainer down from Dublin who was ok in fairness to him.

im currently doing the Cloud Careers Program, the training is at a completely different level altogether

• Advertisement

My experience in FAS in a Dublin training centre (3 of them in fact) was pretty darn good and I'd recommend it without hesitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 APJAMES

Thanks , so I take it you both passed and got certified in the end ?

My course was A+ & Network+ (got both) and server 2003 (did not get the exam), this was in one centre. I also participated in two part time courses in different centres in basic web design and the other was electronics.

Since leaving I've gone on to do other certs but all of my own accord and not encourage/discouraged by employer at the time.

Thanks , so I take it you both passed and got certified in the end ?

I passed the Network+ no problem i enjoyed that course i must say. I was just over 8 weeks into the full MCSA course when i got accepted onto the Cloud Careers Programme, with the training and the companies involved i was never going to pass up that opportunity.

Advertisement