Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-alcoholic Wine

Options
  • 02-05-2014 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hello
    I'm nearly 5 weeks pregnant and we haven't told anyone our news other than our parents (and don't want to until 12 weeks). Prior to pregnancy it would have been very normal for me to drink a bottle of wine at a party. Its a friends birthday tomorrow and the plan is drinks in her house and then out. I'm not worried about not drinking when out in town as everyone will be drunk at this stage but I'm worried about what to do in the house before hand.. i am recently married and there are comments about whether Im drinking or not at every social occasion (light hearted but still.. and I am a terrible liar!)

I was considering drinking non-alcoholic wine (poured into an empty bottle of 'real' wine!!) at the party but have just found out that non- alcoholic wine still has .5% alcohol content which I'm uncomfortable about.. Would it be harmful to drink this? It would be very unusual for me not to drink at least half the bottle.. (as part of my cover story- I have no desire to drink anything alcoholic at all at the moment and would much rather not!)

Stories about being on antibiotics etc are not believed at all and as I'm such a bad liar I wouldn't even try..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Dilute it down on the sneaky.

One of my friends fills up a screwcap bottle of wine with elderflower cordial. Looks like white wine. Only works if you are drinking that botlle by yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Daisy Dalzer

Thanks- I hadn't actually considered diluting the non-alcoholic wine even further!! or maybe just go with elderflower cordial altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Do you ever drink lager? Non alcoholic Becks is pretty much in the same bottle as regular Becks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Merkin wrote: »
    Do you ever drink lager? Non alcoholic Becks is pretty much in the same bottle as regular Becks.

Blue label vs red label? It would be pretty obvious.

How about non-alcoholic sekt? My partner drank this at a wedding during the early weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

U could put some of that shloer stuff into an empty wine bottle. It's alcohol free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Honestly 0.5% alcohol is minuscule - it's not going to do any harm! I'm pretty certain that alcohol free beers have a similar level aswell.

Can you be a 'designated driver' for the evening? Or would that be seen through aswell? The first few weeks are such a pain when you are trying to pretend.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

I got a bottle of non-alcoholic wine for my sister in law's 30th. I could only manage 2 mouthfuls before having to tip it down the sink, it was revolting and tastes nothing like wine! Luckily I also had a chest infection so I said I was on antibiotics.

Maybe buy a bottle and try it or try diluting it to see what you think beforehand. The alcohol content is negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Daisy Dalzer

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. In the end I got the elderflower and grape juice cordial and poured it into an empty bottle of pinot grigio.. nobody suspected anything.. It was a long night though!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Daisy Dalzer, Master of Deception and Intrigue ;-) Glad you pulled it off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Bring a Litre bottle of vodka with water in it and just swig from that all night. They definitely won't think your pregnant, then you can can all have another get-together for the intervention.

• Advertisement
Advertisement