Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo PCCC

Options
  • 02-05-2014 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Has anyone traced their bm through Mayo PCCC? Just informed today that Dhs adoption was done through the then Western Health Board but we thought it wash through St Louise. Anyway can't get them on the phone as yet so wondering if anyone has traced through them and if the waiting lists are as long as they would have been in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭diabeticmum

Hi Ghekko ,
    My Dh is adopted and his adoption was done through St. Clares adoption society. But we were finding hse north east incredibly slow and penny pinching about info. a friend suggested we contact sw in adoption tracing in castlebar as the sw there was very helpful. It was the best thing we did. I cant remember her name now but ill find it later. She said because my husband was adopted into Mayo the hse in Drogheda should have contacted her about placement and to get info. within 2 weeks of speaking to her my husband had being asssigned a sw from drogheda and had met him. All this was after waiting years to get anywhere with them. id highly recommend her. Just checked her name was Josephine Murphy.
    That was last Feb so presume shes still there .Hope this helps. Good luck to you and your husband.

Will see if I can find phone number tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Thank you for replies. Dh, as far as I know, was born in Dublin (but sure now we not sure at all!!) but his family were in Mayo when they adopted him. Typically I left the house for 20 mins on Friday and the sw had rang me back! She left her number to ring on Tuesday. It was a different woman to the one you mentioned. So will wait and see what the story is. I am hopeful that it may not take as long to get the ball rolling if there are not as many people tracing via Castlebar. Will keep you posted.

Hope you got through to SW today, and got some info to help ye guys.

Spoke to girl today and she sounds lovely. She said she will meet with Dh when she gets letter requesting trace so I sent that today. She just wants to go through the process with him first and then there will be a bit of a wait before she gets to working on it. She said her co worker retired recently so she is now on her own! Must have been the lady ye dealt with. One thing she mentioned was that his bm could have been from Mayo as he was adopted into mayo and that in those days it was the done thing. I would have thought the opposite! Though my cousin traced his bm and she was from the same county as he was adopted in. I hope things worked out well for your Dh. It's quite a journey to start. I hope it works out positively.

• Advertisement

That sounds great Ghekko. We are a little further aling than you. We sent first letter to birth mum and an adopted sister last April and its going well. Met sister in june and birth mum and 2 half brother's in Nov.
    Re possibility of birth mum being from Mayo. My Bil who was adopted into Westport found out a few years ago that his birth mum has lived less than 11 miles away all his life. They too have had a very happy reunion.
    Goid luck to your husband and you on thus journey, not easy at times but so worth it.

It's great to hear a positive outcome. Fingers crossed here😄

Well turns out Dh was not born in Dublin at all! How come then his passport says that he was?? Is this the same with anyone who is adopted? He spent a week in St Pats on Navan Road before being brought home by his ap. I don't get it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ghekko wrote: »
    Well turns out Dh was not born in Dublin at all! How come then his passport says that he was?? Is this the same with anyone who is adopted? He spent a week in St Pats on Navan Road before being brought home by his ap. I don't get it.

A significant number of adopted people had their births registered by the forerunner of the Adoption Authority- with the births often registered to their office on Shelbourne Road in Dublin 4. Its kind of strange. I tried to put Cork on my passport application- and was told it might not get processed at all- as it didn't agree with my birthcert........ I'm still from Cork though!

It's good to know I did marry a true Mayo man, despite what it says on his passport😄.

• Advertisement
Advertisement