Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which microphone?

Options
  • 01-05-2014 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I've started using my Gopro for recording spins and track days on my motorbike. Im still in the early phase of figuring out basic editing but I'll get there eventually! It's the HD Hero 1 I have so no external mic input and the sound quality sucks. Engine and exhaust noise is muffled, even using the skeleton door. I'm thinking of buying a Zoom H1 and using an external mic at the back of the bike, near the exhaust, to record a seperate audio file. As I haven't a clue about recording sound, which type of mic would be suitable? It would need to be fairly cheap and small enough not to get in the way. Wind noise could also be a problem at high speeds so I suppose some kind of sock would also be needed. Anyone have any experience of recording sounds like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

I use one of these Sony ICD-PX333 I havent used them on a bike or anything tho, some of these come with a lav mic, but you'd need to fashion or buy some sort of mic windscreen.
    The Sony is a great little digital recorder for the price and is simple to use.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

Fionn wrote: »
    I use one of these Sony ICD-PX333 I havent used them on a bike or anything tho, some of these come with a lav mic, but you'd need to fashion or buy some sort of mic windscreen.
    The Sony is a great little digital recorder for the price and is simple to use.

:)

I'll probably get the Zoom. Lots of vids on youtube where people have used them to record cars and bikes. Only problem though is that I'll have to keep it under the seat on the bike and run a microphone to the engine or exhaust. I can't figure out what mic would be suitable for recording such loud noises, be small enough to mount to the bike and not get distorted by wind noise

Advertisement