Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a small question.

Options
  • 01-05-2014 9:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

OK Unfortunately I did very very bad in my Leaving Certificate. I want to try and get into medicine however with 120 points and all ordinary level subjects except for English which is a fail I won't get anywhere near medicine.

UCD requires 480 points. Is there any different routes into Medicine such as a PLC route or something?

If not and I have to redo my Leaving Certificate and do the HPAT what are some of the main questions that come up on HPAT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

On the off chance you're serious, no there isn't. If you go into medicine as an undergraduate 480 points is the absolute minimum you'll need; in practice you will probably need a higher amount - over 535 - plus good scores in the HPAT.

There is also a graduate entry to medicine - you must achieve at least a 2.1 in an honours (level 8) degree program, plus take the GAMSAT (Graduate Medical Schools Admission Test).

This might be your best bet - retake your leaving cert and focus on getting into any honours degree course. Then your options are there for medicine if you achieve a 1st or 2.1 on the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

You are required to sit the HPAT regardless of the mode of entry, however as a mature applicant, you're only requirement is the HPAT and you will be assessed accordingly. If academics are not your strong point, you may find it quite difficult studying Medicine since there is quite a lot of learning to do!

Your option is either to resit the LC (you need to be very inclined on studying Medicine and sitting all HL subjects to even get near it, I heard it was 535 in UCD + HPAT score), or wait till you hit the age of 23 and give it a shot.

Personally, I would recommend repeating the Leaving Cert. as I believe you can do much better if you put your mind to it. Attend a college suited for repeat students, you'll be surprised how well you could do a second time round.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

nibtrix wrote: »
    On the off chance you're serious, no there isn't. If you go into medicine as an undergraduate 480 points is the absolute minimum you'll need; in practice you will probably need a higher amount - over 535 - plus good scores in the HPAT.

There is also a graduate entry to medicine - you must achieve at least a 2.1 in an honours (level 8) degree program, plus take the GAMSAT (Graduate Medical Schools Admission Test).

This might be your best bet - retake your leaving cert and focus on getting into any honours degree course. Then your options are there for medicine if you achieve a 1st or 2.1 on the course.

How long is the honors degree course? Thank you for replying to my thread as well both you and "Exo".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

fontdor wrote: »
    How long is the honors degree course? Thank you for replying to my thread as well both you and "Exo".

Usually four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

fontdor wrote: »
    OK Unfortunately I did very very bad in my Leaving Certificate. I want to try and get into medicine however with 120 points and all ordinary level subjects except for English which is a fail I won't get anywhere near medicine.

UCD requires 480 points. Is there any different routes into Medicine such as a PLC route or something?

If not and I have to redo my Leaving Certificate and do the HPAT what are some of the main questions that come up on HPAT?

You won't get in in on 480 .
    If you did that poorly in the lc the chances are you would struggle even if you got in .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

Thank you very much everybody for the advice and help.

Advertisement