Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need advice on best smartphone to buy in poor signal area

Options
  • 01-05-2014 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi all,
    If this has already been answered then fire up the link.
    It's the age old question: which smart phone is the best in poor sigbal strength area.
    The story do far...I've had the HTC One S for the past 2 years. I'm on vodafone and the singal is awful, just awful. Fine in a strong signal area but anywhere where it's a bit weak and this phone is useless. I had the HTC Desire before that is it wasn't too bad. I've tried other networks and meteor seem to be a little better but I would still like to know if anyone has changed their smartphone recently and found an improvement in their signal strength (once your live in a poor signal area)
    I'm trying to avoid Iphones because of how restrictive apple are with regard to, well everything. I prefer the freedom of android.
    I'm thinking about sony or samsung as they currently have the juiciest handsets. HTC are out based completely on signal strength. It couldn't hold a signal if my life depended on it.

so. any recommendations for phones in poor signal areas. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

why dont you just get a free sim card from all the suppliers and get people to ring you that way. it might be the cell strength in your area and not the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

It could be the phone. I bought a One S about 2 years ago and had to bring it back as the signal was so bad. I got it online but brought it back to a shop where they told me that they couldn't swap it for a different phone and wouldn't give me a different One S as they (Meteor) told me that they had been instructed not to sell any One S phones as there was a known reception issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭sdowling04

Vodafone have a booster called sure signal that you connect to your wifi and it gives you full reception. It may be worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Have a look at this app. Might help choosing a network. I used it when trying to resolve poor reception at a particular location recently

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.staircase3.opensignal

As for phones I would avoid Sony. We had 4 different types of Sony and they all had poor reception. We now have Moto G and Nexus 4 devices and reception is vastly improved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭GIMP

I had the Htc One V last year, it too was woeful for signal, moved to Samsung S4 which is flawless reception wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭YeGods

Thanks everyone all the replies.
    My buddy has the exact same model phone as mine (HTC one s) and has the exact same problems. you're right about it being a known problem with this phone.
    I've gotten a few different sim cards (meteor & three). Meteor is a bit better but only barely. no difference with three.
    I contacted vodafone, and after a prolonged instant message conversation with a support guy the only solution offered was a new sim card (which didn't make a blind bit of difference when I got it).

I looked into the sure signal option but vodafone want 100 euro for the device, plus I'll have to pay the cost of running this device, and it connects to my land line broad band and has a limited number of phones that it will allow connection to.
    It is 50 euro if you are a vodafone customer and I've tried arguing with then about the fact that they are charging me mone for a device to improve their service. They even won't admit that the signal in poor in my area (because the graphic on the website says it's fine)
    I'm not bothered about 2G, 3G or even 4G -(I can use my broadband for that) I just want to be able to receive and make calls and texts rather than using my landline when the calls drop as soon as I answer. (which costs a lot more).
    I know the signal in my area is bad. I'm willing to accept that so I just want to make the best of a bad situation and make sure the next phone i buy will be better.
    I'm trying to decide between Samsung S4 and the Sony Z1 but I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with these or other smart phones that improved their signal strength (or holds the signal better)

Thanks for that link and info BionicRasher. Good to know. The list of phones is getting smaller now.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

As for phones I would avoid Sony. We had 4 different types of Sony and they all had poor reception. We now have Moto G and Nexus 4 devices and reception is vastly improved.

I wouldn't cross Sony off the list. I've had very bad reception at work with iPhone 4 and SGS3 but Sony z1 compact catches signal in the areas where the other two had no bars at all.
    Even more, I'm able to use Internet in that receptionless coffin of a workplace with z1 compact now where before, if I wanted to do so, I would have to step outside.

Thanks for that sportloto86. I was looking at that phone already and was impressed by it but wanted to know what the reception was like. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

OK so I've bought a phone. And the winner is ........Sony Z1.
    a vast improvement in signal strenght. Can now make and take calls and texts in every room in the house. Delighted. very fast phone too (internet, apps etc) so all round very happy. Thanks to all for you're info.

I bought it second hand because i didn't want to sign up to another few years of vodafone contract in-case the signal is still bad. Before I bought anything I called a vodafone store in cork to ask if I did sign up and the signal was poor, could I cancel the contract but was told NO, unless there was a defect with the phone. He then went on to "explain" that Ireland isn't Flat !! and that is the reason the signal strength isn't the same all over the country. I made my feelings towards his idiotic statement clear and got my apology from him.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Good to hear. I think any phone would have been an improvement to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

As daytob mentioned it might be easier to test out some other networks.

Signal is horrible in my place (across all networks), especially 3G/4G. 2G is bearable so I'm using an xposed mod at the moment that forces the phone to use 2G while connected to WiFi and when I'm away from WiFi it automatically reverts to 4G preferred. It doesn't give me perfect signal but it's much better and much more battery friendly as the phone isn't constantly searching for 3G/4G networks.

Have you tried out only using 2G at home and see does that make a difference?

What's the name of that mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Looks interesting, cheers. If I put cyanogen back on I'll look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Advertisement