Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Army Records

Options
  • 01-05-2014 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Guys, Looking for a bit of help on this one. My great grandfather died in 1931 (born 1881) & served in WWI for the british army. I don't know which regiment, but I know he died as an indirect result of mustard gas, - complications for the rest of his life after the war.

He's buried in Glasnevin, I have the plot number & I've seen his grave, but there's nothing to tell me his regiment etc, it's as if he didn't want it known after the war.

Is there any way to find his english army records as nobody knows anything about him beyond this information which was told to my grandfather by his mother. My grandfather was very young when his father died & I don't think he knew him at all.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

FindMyPast might be able to provide you with those records.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Ignore

Do you have any idea where he was born?

Genealogy Forum Mod

I think it was Wexford. That's only family rumour though.

Not much luck with FindMyPast or Ancestry?

Have you looked at the burial records at GlasnevinTrust.ie? There may be others buried in the same plot which could give you a clue.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I'm on FMP right now & can't find anything, Glasnevin Trust were able to give me the grave details which gave me his age at death & occupation (which kind of confirmed the mustard gas story) & also his wife in the same grave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Have you got him on 1901 and 1911 censuses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

If you post or pm the details, I will have a look for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

You might be able to locate his medal roll which can give you a lot of information. I found my Grandad's and it told me his regiment, where he served and what medals he was awarded. The majority of WWl army records have not survived but you might be lucky. I used a military researcher and he was able to tell me a lot about my Grandad even though his full record was destroyed. Start with the medal roll and take it from there.

I've just been round at my mother in laws & she's given me her father's discharge sheet from the british army which has his serial number on it, so although that's not the same person, I've got something to keep me busy :)

Fascinating stuff. Have come on in leaps & bounds the last couple of days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I can look up his service records (to see if it still exists) with his name and serial number.

If you need more help then check the Research a soldier thread in the WWI forum.

Advertisement