Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good idea for thread ?

Options
  • 01-05-2014 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

I notice that when I go to say the1901 census and look up the actual image of a household return there's a nine digit number within the address eg my great grandad McGrane and family have 003670330

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003670330/

I'm presuming theses numbers are unique to each image ?

Maybe we should start a thread with these numbers ? Each poster could quote the various numbers that apply to their ancestors . Most of us have at least ten pages that refer to our ancestors . Then others could make a list of their "magic numbers" pm the posters and find long lost cousins !

Does that make sense ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Would get very messy very quickly although the idea is sound - sites with public and linkable trees like Ancestry or Findmypast effectively do this, but paid-for. I've found both distant cousins and people we'd lost contact with that way.

Considering the effort to make Irish records free by the state, it would be extremely useful for them to provide some form of basic tree builder with this functionality; or to get free access to one specific commercial one solely for Irish records and let people pay for their foreign sets if they want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Maybe I should clarify my theory : From experience people who are even mildly interested in their roots know where there ancestors are in the census . It's a great source of common ground .

Perversely for people like us the problem is often not going backwards in time before 1901/11 but going forwards in time from 1901/11 to trace other descendants of the people listed. The nine digit number instantly and clearly identifies the family and puts people in touch with typically other great grandchildren and hence lost second cousins .

The 9 digit number is much easier to search using the boards.ie search function than trying surnames and towns/counties.

Advertisement