Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dynasty Advice

• 01-05-2014 10:50am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm joining a Dynasty league which will have it's initial draft soon after the real NFL draft.

Any advice for the Dynasty draft and how it differs from a regular draft.

I'm guessing it's more or less the same with a premium on the younger players?

We are doing 25 rounds, 16 teams, offensive players only.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

So easy fall in to the trap of valuing a rookie over a player with 4/5 years experience. Sure, the long term payoff might be good, but you'll suffer short term. You can always pick up rookies every year, you're only guaranteed solid starters in Year 1.

And it's easy value sleepers too highly. For 2 years in a row I've been expecting Sam Bradford to "break out". I've suffered hugely as a result :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So, First half at least treat it similarly to a regular league? With the possible exception of guys who are likely to retire in a year or 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Well that's how I treat it anyway. Maybe I'm just impatient, but there's no fun waiting a few years for your picks to come good. League might not even be active at that stage! If I was given a choice of drafting Brady/Manning or Manziel/Bridgewater etc, I'd pick the first two every time. I know I'm going to get solid to elite production out of them for the next couple of years, whereas with the latter two I might have to wait 2/3 years for them to come good, if they do at all. Likewise a choice between Brandon Marshall/Sammy Watkins. I just think there's too much emphasis on rookies in dynasty leagues. I've had that opinion criticised before though, so it might just be me who feels that way. Any time I've done well in Fantasy Football it's when I've made safe, stable picks and one or two mid to late round undervalued players have come good. Any time I've done poorly, it's because I've drafted too many rookies, or put sleepers as starters from Week 1 (i.e. waiting until Round 6/7 to draft Sam Bradford rather than taking an established QB earlier). My golden rule these days is sleepers/players on new teams/players with new QBs or dramatic coaching changes etc. are for your bench until they prove other wise.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I guess my question would be would you take Andrew Luck/Cam Newton/Kaepernick/Stafford ahead of the likes Manning/Brady/Brees?

In a 1 year league Manning/Brady/Brees would be almost no brainers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,181 ✭✭✭Guffy

Well ur second tier there are all starters now and good starters. Imo I think luck is the no 1 for a dynasty. He can get u points now and will develop in the future.

Outside if qb I think you treat it as an ordinary draft for first say 10 rounds. I think u will find that u will select a good mix age wise anyway. Then look at upside young guys. Come the next draft u will need to replace 1 or 2 guys while someone who focused to heavily on prospects will have more holes to fill.

also if a space frees up I'm interested ;)

actually I would make sure the ages of your rbs are staggered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

On a sidenote (didnt think it worth opening another thread), would there be much interest in starting a dynasty league? Always been interested in the idea but I never really got around to it. I'm guessing its a much larger commitment than a 1 year league. Anyone interested or offer any advice?

I don't know, you need to get guys that you know will be commuted year after year for it, it lends itself more to people you know rather than an internet forum.

There is already a Dynasty league on here, (I left it after the first year, oh the shame!)

It could be worth starting a thread to see what sort of interest you get!

Advertisement