Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Options
  • 01-05-2014 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭

Reviews starting to seep out.

IGN - 5.4/10
    Den of Geek - 2.5/5
    Hardcore Gamer - 3.5/5

Was going to get this, but looking at the reviews and gameplay vids, I might skip it. The last one was poor enough, and apart from improved swing mechanics in this one, it sounds like everything else got worse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Penn wrote: »
    Reviews starting to seep out.

IGN - 5.4/10
    Den of Geek - 2.5/5
    Hardcore Gamer - 3.5/5

Was going to get this, but looking at the reviews and gameplay vids, I might skip it. The last one was poor enough, and apart from improved swing mechanics in this one, it sounds like everything else got worse.

Same as. I did enjoy the first one, but I found it a bit tedious in places. I can't see me wanting to go through it again, let alone going through a even less interesting version of it. Shame really, as they have the hard part done, just keep on messing up the easier part.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,580 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I was tempted to get this as soon as I heard the trigger buttons are used as 2 separate web shooters and webs actually stick to buildings but the previews just looked like another generic open world em up.

Guy below is playing on PS4 and it definitely doesn't look like a next gen game. Also, you can sweb straight into the air, we swinging from clouds it looks like after devs said you need buildings to sing from.

Will prob pick it up when it's in the bargain bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

never played the 1st one. This doesn't look very good at all. Shame as I was hoping it was going to put right what was supposed to be wrong on the 1st one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone remember Ultimate Spiderman on the Xbox/PS2? It was the cartoonish style one, now that was how you did a Spiderman game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,580 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thargor wrote: »
    Anyone remember Ultimate Spiderman on the Xbox/PS2? It was the cartoonish style one, now that was how you did a Spiderman game.

That was good but Spiderman 2 the movie the game was the best spidey game. Played the balls off that. The new games look like they are trying to capture what made that so good but kinda failing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

sheehy83 wrote: »
    That was good but Spiderman 2 the movie the game was the best spidey game. Played the balls off that. The new games look like they are trying to capture what made that so good but kinda failing.
    Was that the one on 360? On a phone and they're all blurred together in my head tbh. Agree it was very good alright if its the one Im thinking of, very good map on NY. Ultimate Spiderman for me was a nearly perfect game though, controls and slinging were spot on, bosses were massive and interesting, even the side quests like racing the human torch were better than main missions in most games.

Crackdown and Prototype are major favorites of mine aswell though so maybe its just the GTA-sandboxes that appeal to me. Someone needs to make a similar style game for Batman in Gotham, I didnt really get on with Arkham Asylum and the rest.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Maximum Carnage on the SNES was better than all of them. First game that drove me to smash a controller too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Thargor wrote: »
    Was that the one on 360? On a phone and they're all blurred together in my head tbh. Agree it was very good alright if its the one Im thinking of, very good map on NY. Ultimate Spiderman for me was a nearly perfect game though, controls and slinging were spot on, bosses were massive and interesting, even the side quests like racing the human torch were better than main missions in most games.

Crackdown and Prototype are major favorites of mine aswell though so maybe its just the GTA-sandboxes that appeal to me. Someone needs to make a similar style game for Batman in Gotham, I didnt really get on with Arkham Asylum and the rest.

You're probably thinking of Spider-Man 3, which wasn't bad. Spider-Man 2 was on the Xbox and PS2, if I recall correctly.

Web of Shadows was decent enough too, once you ignored the terrible voice acting at times, and the start of the game which was a tutorial too far. Shattered Dimensions was decent, though not open world. The sequel to that, whose name escapes me at the moment but it's the one with just Amazing and 2099, where the SD had Ultimate and Noir also, was pretty poor.

The Ultimate one I believe you are referring to was on the Xbox/PS2 again. Great game overall, with a nice art style.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I got to play a bit of this earlier and it's not a bad game, really. The web-swinging is a bit awkward at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's really cool. Combat is trying to emulate Arkham Asylum, and while it has some nice animations, it falls a bit flat with no real impact (sometimes literally when you don't connect, but the bad guys still go flying).

There's some nice touches like going to Stan Lee's comic shop to see collectables on shelves and do challenges on the arcade machine, or going back to Aunt to change into another costume from your closet or replay missions from photos on your wall. And they have Spiderman's cocky swagger down pretty well in the animations and dialogue.

The main problem, which I expected, is the controls in closed areas. You don't swing, so instead you have a "rush" which is like Arkham Asylums grapple. You hold the button and it shows you likely landing spots, you select one and then jump there. But it often doesn't let you jump to places you really want to. I found myself having to backtrack a few metres just so I could hop up onto a pipe that was about a foot above me, because it wouldn't let me do it up close.

And the camera angle sometimes changes to under your chest while you're on a wall, which isn't exactly helpful.

If you can get a cheap copy, I'd recommend it. It'll be forgotten when it comes to thinking about your favourite game of the year, but there's plenty of fun to be had. And with the large amount of collectables and upgrade to get, there's plenty to reply if you're the OCD type.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I think i can handle that shít... gonna find a cheap copy.

• Advertisement

Oh, I also forgot to mention the hero system, which is funny at first and probably annoying later when it becomes difficult to balance. But essentially, you do side quests like stopping robberies or saving people from fires and this increases you hero rating (and you get little news reports about it). But they only stay on the map for a little while and then if you miss them or fail them, you decrease your hero rating and J. Jonah Jameson does a quick news report about how you're a menace.

It's a nice touch that makes you wonder whether to head straight for the next mission, find collectibles, or try and maintain your rating. I'm sure as things get more hectic in the game, the side missions being timed will make the decisions harder to make.

ive been playing about an hour or so, like it so far and i can see the decisions coming in now which is also cool
    what happens if you let stan lee die in the fire?
    . Its worth the price for the pleasure it is to swing around. It really could of doing with about 6 months more in the oven. When will companies learn that rushing a game to release with its movie never works?

Yeah, this is really close to being an excellent game, but let down by many niggly little problems that just needed a tiny bit more work.

I wish i could turn off those news reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'm enjoying this, but the cutscenes/news reports/hero system are killing it a bit. I might let Jonah go nuts!

I love the small touches, the comic store is awesome. I'm currently using the black costume, can't wait to unlock the Superior suit!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Just started playing this , after finishing the first one .

Quick question ,
    What exactly happens if you ignore the random crimes ? Does it affect gameplay / make the game harder ? Or can they be ignored without consequences ?

Thanks .

After a while they'll flash red and then disappear and your hero rating will take a hit. As the rating gets lower, cops and an anti-vigilante task force come out to get you. It makes things more interesting. And even if you keep a high rating, you'll occasionally get an automatic knock down due to the story. It's a half hearted system that you don't really have to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

How's the game holding up a week later?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

humanji wrote: »
    After a while they'll flash red and then disappear and your hero rating will take a hit. As the rating gets lower, cops and an anti-vigilante task force come out to get you. It makes things more interesting. And even if you keep a high rating, you'll occasionally get an automatic knock down due to the story. It's a half hearted system that you don't really have to worry about.

Thanks for the explanation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

How does this compare to the first one of the Amazing movie tie ins?
    I was a big fan of Spidey 2 on the Wii, not so much of 3 with it's cool independantl left and right web controls destroyed by the annoying and imprecise wrist-flick motion control. Are they much of a muchness? Is there anything the second one does that the first doesn't or that the first did right that's broken in the 2nd?

• Advertisement
Advertisement