Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help estimating heating cost (immersion)

Options
  • 30-04-2014 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'd really appreciate your help with this issue.
    We recently ran out of oil in our house and are now using the immersion to heat the water. You know, like a lot of Irish households.

However I nearly fell over today when I saw what the immersion was set to! The immersion is on for 8 hours a day on sink! Some background would be useful I guess! It's a pretty big house- 6 bedrooms with 6 en-suites. Only 1 of the showers is electric. Showers are used in the mornings and the evenings.
    The tank in the hot press is pretty massive as well, biggest I've ever seen.

So, good people of boards, I'd like to find out two things:

1. How can I estimate what this level of heating is costing per day/week? I think 8 hours is completely ridiculous. This is in 4 chunks of 2 hours rather than 8 hours straight if that's relevant. The oil was on for 4 hours a day, which I already thought was way too much. I know there are probably other factors I'm not taking into account but an estimate would be a good start!

2. Assuming we continue using the timer, what would be the minimum we could set it for in order to have enough water for showers etc.? Should it be bath instead of sink? The argument that always comes up is that it's cheaper to run the immersion for a big portion of the day than to just heat once a day. There also needs to be hot water in the morning and evening for showers.

Advertisement