Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COURSES THAT ACCEPT FOUNDATION MATHS??

Options
  • 30-04-2014 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello,
    Im in 6th year and have great difficulty with maths I get grinds and have 5 and half weeks left to study it like. However, I did well in my pre with absolutely no study I got around the 300 points but failed maths, Im looking to go up around a 100 points are so maybe hit the 400 mark. I was wondering though if I where to drop down to FL level maths what courses is there available that accept foundation level maths?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Hi there, obviously you probably would have more of a choice if you stuck with the OL maths however there are lots of courses which accept FL maths - just as long as you get a good grade (usually say B2 or higher). Out of interest, how did you do in your maths - were you any way near 40%? Could you give us some other details such as what area you would like to study in e.g. arts, science, business etc. and where you would like to go to third level? We might be able to put something together then!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 KeenTeen10

d1234 wrote: »
    Hi there, obviously you probably would have more of a choice if you stuck with the OL maths however there are lots of courses which accept FL maths - just as long as you get a good grade (usually say B2 or higher). Out of interest, how did you do in your maths - were you any way near 40%? Could you give us some other details such as what area you would like to study in e.g. arts, science, business etc. and where you would like to go to third level? We might be able to put something together then!

Hey thanks for you interest. It's just the arts areas really for example something like. English, religion, geography, history, human development, psychology. Etc... So arts.. I was in contact with some college and they accept a minimum FL d3 but of course points are net awarded. In my pre I got 31% in maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

KeenTeen10 wrote: »
    Hey thanks for you interest. It's just the arts areas really for example something like. English, religion, geography, history, human development, psychology. Etc... So arts.. I was in contact with some college and they accept a minimum FL d3 but of course points are net awarded. In my pre I got 31% in maths.

If you got 31% you are definitely able to pass. Try to focus on the areas you like (or don't completely hate!) and you'll pass. Ensure you attempt EVERY question as you'd be shocked how easy it is to pick up attempt marks. If you don't attempt a question, you'll get 0. If you write anything even remotely reasonable you'll probably get 3/10. I'd avoid doing foundation if you managed 31% in the mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 KeenTeen10

robman60 wrote: »
    If you got 31% you are definitely able to pass. Try to focus on the areas you like (or don't completely hate!) and you'll pass. Ensure you attempt EVERY question as you'd be shocked how easy it is to pick up attempt marks. If you don't attempt a question, you'll get 0. If you write anything even remotely reasonable you'll probably get 3/10. I'd avoid doing foundation if you managed 31% in the mocks.

No I'm aiming to pass ordinary I deffo am, I'm gonna try my best like. However I need to consider my other options need to see what colleges accept foundation and is it common that people who do FL get to college? I'm exploring all options no stone unturned!!

Advertisement