Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flies working well on the Corrib?

Options
  • 30-04-2014 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Gonna be heading down to the Corrib Saturday and Sunday for a bit of sport on the fly.

Anyone got any ideas as to what is fishing well at the moment??

Cheers

Mark

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

thehamo wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Gonna be heading down to the Corrib Saturday and Sunday for a bit of sport on the fly.

Anyone got any ideas as to what is fishing well at the moment??

Cheers

Mark

Olive patterns doing the business at the moment, sooty olive in particular. Mayfly starting to hatch in better numbers so have some of those in your box too, but in my experience the fish take a week or so to switch on to mayfly, and may be still on the olives at the weekend. McPhail's mayfly is my go-to pattern at mayfly time, fished on the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Cant argue with Zippy's advice on choice of fly but would add that using small hooks/patterns and light tippets seem to be working too. The light winds combined with very clear water means you have to fish carefully. If the wind gets going it may not be as much of an issue but dont think there is much in the way of wind forecast.

Bring on the dap :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

The good old sooty olive, you just can't beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

THanks a million for the replys guys appreciate it. Gonna get my hands on a few sootie olives so by the sounds of things!!

Itching to get out on the lake now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

so Update on the weekend.

Spend roughly 18 hours in total on the lake and manage a total of 1 3 inch brownie:mad:

I threw everything at them, fish 4 flies, 2 sootie olives and 2 may fly muddlers mostly but tried a few different things as well.

Winds were fairly changable which wouldnt have helped. My fishing partner managed a total of 5 over the weekend but largest was no more than 1lb.

Very irritaed but i'l definitely be back to try again!

Advertisement