Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrabble in Ireland

Options
  • 30-04-2014 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

So, the All Ireland Scrabble Championships was on last weekend, 26-27 April 2014 and the standard was really high. Winner was Belfast Man Paul Gallen who is ranked 4th in the world. Outside of the serious tournament scene, do many people play scrabble at home, with their friends or in local clubs anymore?

John :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What was his score? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ben Noah

We just play occasionally - but it's usually enjoyable.

It can be interesting to watch the clash of superior vocabulary vs superior tactical thinker.

(This dynamic seems to surface a bit in Boggle also - along with the "fastest writer ability")

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I play a lot when I go back to the parents. I often win against my Dad (250+ points in 3/4 players), but my wife beats us all when she plays. And she's not even native English :(

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

What was his score? :P

The tournament lasted a whole weekend, with each player playing 15 games of scrabble, against several different opponents.

The tournament culminated in a straight final between the two favourites: Paul and Feargal. Paul won this with the astoundingly high score of 588, which was the highest score in the whole tournament.

Competition scrabble games are always two player games. Paul's average game score during the tournament was very high, at 460.

Full results & stats at
    http://centrestar.co.uk/14dublin/html/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭john47

Thanks Yaledo. You got there before me. I love looking at the wall chart also. Here http://www.centrestar.co.uk/14dublin/html/A-wallchart.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement