Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Test/Health check places

Options
  • 29-04-2014 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi all ,

Recently I started to build a rig but when everything was connected go no POST on screen.

Was using a Z87-pro motherboard with an intel i7 4770k 8MB processor.
    Anyway the q-code on the MOBO was 00 and the CPU led was also red. From online help it's looking like it's either faulty MOBO or CPU .... with an outside chance of a PSU ( although everything else seems to power up fine)

I'm just wondering since there's a few things that could be the issue is there a places in dublin which you can test the different components and see if they work.
    Like I'm RMA'ing the motherboard since i believe it's the most likely cause of the issue , but I'd love to be certain that it's not the processor either ( could even be a faulty PSU for all i know).
    Unfortunately none of my friends have motherboards which can actually run the processor I bought so it limits my options on that .
    Anyway if anyone knows of a place that offers these services it'd be much appreciated.
    (preferably places that won't cost an arm and a leg ) The Idea here is to spend some money and find out the faulty part rather than RMA the entire lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Hook up a monitor, remove the CPU and boot the pc : it's likely that you will observe the same behavior.
    Remove each component in turn and see what happens
    From my experience it's a faulty motherboard

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pages

darconio wrote: »
    Hook up a monitor, remove the CPU and boot the pc : it's likely that you will observe the same behavior.
    Remove each component in turn and see what happens
    From my experience it's a faulty motherboard

Yeah tried that and noticed same behaviour.
    So it's either the Motherboard that's faulty or the CPU is a dud.
    I checked the pins on the MOBO in case they were bent or damaged but they all seem perfect .
    I also updated the BIOS using the Asus flash option , so it's running the latest bios with latest fixes and still not recognising the CPU

I read on different forums that someone had a problem with the PSU where it would give power for the fans but didn't give enough juice for a CPU. Tried hooking up another PSU but getting same behaviour.

Just really annoying since I'm 99% sure it'll be the MOBO but without either a different CPU to put in it or a different MOBO to put my CPU I've no way of telling.
    That's why I'd love a repair place that would offer these services

( Long shot but ... any good Samaritans out there near green line luas that have a MOBO that can take an i7 4770k processor in their build , or a known working Intel processor that i can pop in my build ? )

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

If you took out the CPU, booted up the pc and the behavior is the same you can be 99.9% sure that is the mobo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Rma the mobo and if that doesn't fix it blame the cpu.
    Bit of a wait is the only snag.

Advertisement