Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Between a rock and a hard place.

Options
  • 29-04-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm venting a little, I'm in a sort of limbo here, genuinely interested in buying a house off the "plans" from this builder. I told him I'd need him to build to the new regs even though he is more than likely exempt as issued a commencement notice for the development a long time ago, he has built two out of seven. He agreed to this and that's it. We've discussed heating system, he's put in oil and solar on others, I'd like to consider a2w and other than telling me it would cost €5000 there is nothing definite coming which makes it impossible for me to even consider coming to some sort of agreement. He has lined up a chartered engineer who will charge €1000 on top of his previous fee to fulfil the certifier duties.
    What I'm looking for is an energy assessment calculation based on the various options and a detailed spec.
    I don't want to have to hire professionals to do what he should be doing but want him to step up to the plate.
    Am I being too fussy? I don't know what the best way to approach it from here!
    He seems to have a good reputation for good quality work but I'm getting put off by the lack of specifics.
    Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hire your own professional. Expect to pay far more than 1k

Best of luck on your new venture (probably the biggest investment you'll ever make so seeking impartial advice is a must)

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Molzer2

Thanks, that's €1000 is on top of his pre regulation fee of €1500.

So I'm not being too fussy then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

Molzer2 wrote: »
    even though he is more than likely exempt as issued a commencement notice for the development a long time ago, he has built two out of seven. .

If he lodged a CN a long time ago then check that his permission has not expired - or that it will not expire before your house is built.

If the permission has or will expire soon a new permission is needed and following on from that SI 9 2014 - which will cost more than the amounts posted so far.

Thanks, that's €1000 is on top of his pre regulation fee of €1500.

So I'm not being too fussy then!

Define fussy?

A builder builds. They require instruction on what to build. There should be no vague 'build to new regs' from you the client. It's up to YOU to get heating 'options' assessed for YOUR home not the builder. It's his job to build, he 'steps up to the plate' by building what YOUR designer specifies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

Hi all, I'm venting a little, I'm in a sort of limbo here, genuinely interested in buying a house off the "plans" from this builder. I told him I'd need him to build to the new regs even though he is more than likely exempt as issued a commencement notice for the development a long time ago, he has built two out of seven. He agreed to this and that's it. We've discussed heating system, he's put in oil and solar on others, I'd like to consider a2w and other than telling me it would cost €5000 there is nothing definite coming which makes it impossible for me to even consider coming to some sort of agreement.

Perhaps he needs to see some commitment from you. Assuming he is diligent then he has his design set BER assessments and all. It is not unreasonable for you to pay the costs of a design consultancy service to look at options. Ask to appoint and pay for yourself this service from a BER assessor asking for his assessors co operation with respect to file sharing.

You may just need to give a little here ( I have seen cases where builders lose out in customizing to a purchasers requests only for the purchaser to back out )

• Advertisement

4Sticks wrote: »
    If he lodged a CN a long time ago then check that his permission has not expired - or that it will not expire before your house is built.

If the permission has or will expire soon a new permission is needed and following on from that SI 9 2014 - which will cost more than the amounts posted so far.

Thanks for that, he extended the p.p. Last year five more years granted but I assume the c.n. Went in on the original. Do you think that this means a new c.n. Will be required.

BryanF wrote: »
    Define fussy?

A builder builds. They require instruction on what to build. There should be no vague 'build to new regs' from you the client. It's up to YOU to get heating 'options' assessed for YOUR home not the builder. It's his job to build, he 'steps up to the plate' by building what YOUR designer specifies.

Thanks Bryan, he's a bit more than a builder, in this case he's the developer and the vendor. I take your point though but it's hard to get the heating options assessed if I don't know the spec of the building envelope, floors, windows etc.

4Sticks wrote: »
    Perhaps he needs to see some commitment from you. Assuming he is diligent then he has his design set BER assessments and all. It is not unreasonable for you to pay the costs of a design consultancy service to look at options. Ask to appoint and pay for yourself this service from a BER assessor asking for his assessors co operation with respect to file sharing.

You may just need to give a little here ( I have seen cases where builders lose out in customizing to a purchasers requests only for the purchaser to back out )

I hear you and agree, he has no design assessments but assures me all will be done but what's getting me is how can he give me a price if he doesn't know what's in the design. Maybe he just knows what he can get for it and is not getting bogged down in minute details such as 4 or 6 inches of insulation under the floor! The one he sold was a b1.

Thanks Bryan, he's a bit more than a builder, in this case he's the developer and the vendor. I take your point though but it's hard to get the heating options assessed if I don't know the spec of the building envelope, floors, windows etc.

Finding out the spec is not your problem, leave it to the person you employ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

Hi OP,

It will cost you money now to hire your own professional but as a percentage of what you are paying for the house I think it is well worth it for your own peace of mind.

From what you have described the builder sounds genuine but he is not an expert and he doesn't want to go to the expense of emplying an expert to answer all your questions. Even if he did would you prefer to have your questions answered by someone working for him or by someone working for you?

A good building professional will answer all your questions and probably give you advice that would not have crossed your mind at all. You will have to pay for it though - but in my opinion it's worth it. (Of course I'm hugely biased!!)

• Advertisement

Thanks Drift,
    We met with an architect during last week. He certainly helped me see the wood from the trees and I have been in touch with the builder so we'll see where I goes!

Advertisement