Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how best to work out mileage for childcare

Options
  • 29-04-2014 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Myself and my ex are trying to work out how to fairly agree childcare mileage.
    Should just point out that this adds up and is a big source of costs/disagreement so keen to get it sorted.

There's three ways to work things out .. Total KM or Childcare KM or 'Trips'.

My ex has 'home' to 'work' which is 23km. This trip happens on the days she doesn't have kids.
    On the day when she has kids she does 'home' to 'school' to 'work' which is 41km.
    The difference she drives when dropping daughter to school is 18km.

So ...
    is her childcare mileage 41km (total km) or 18km (difference due to childcare)?

Next one is my mileage.
    I do a lot of afterschool trips.
    My drive from home to school is 11km. But that's just to pick up daughter. I always travel straight back home with her.
    So ...
    is my childcare mileage for that 11km ('trip' to school) or 22km the total km I have to drive to collect her and bring her home?

And here's the difference depending on how you work it out.
    My ex works our mileage as her 41km (total including her drive to work) and mine as 11km (e.g. dropping daughter to afterschool activity).
    Her 41 / me 11.

Here's how I'd work out the same day.
    Her 18km (the extra distance she drives due to drop off .. excluding her normal drive to work which she has to do anyway) .. me 22km (drop daughter to afterschool and drive home).

As you can see with her way of looking at it she's doing 30km more than me per day. With mine it's about the same.

I'd welcome anyone's thoughts.
    Fine if you disagree or agree with me .. just getting people's views.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

I'm good at math generally OP but my head is melted with the figures ,sorry . Pardon my ignorance but what how exactly does this all make any difference ?

Edit - I've read this a few times and as far as I can see yes your ex does 18km extra because she has the kids on those days .

On the other hand (you aren't working? and therefore your miles are ALL "childcare miles" .

The child (or children) DON'T have to be in the car for the miles to be childcare miles eg. a dad lives in Drogheda and drives 28 miles to Dublin to collect his child and take them back up for the weekend . All told the mileage is 4x28 even though only 2x28 the child is in the car .

Similarly every minute the child is in the car is hardly childcare miles either .

HOWEVER !

The TWO of you need to put your calculators away and look at the broader picture . Can you not just call it quits on the miles ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

2 nitpicking parents will = 1 child in therapy.

Advertisement