Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposal Ring or Engagement Charm Bracelet?

Options
  • 29-04-2014 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

The GF and I are heading away on holidays at the end of May and I'm thinking it would be a great time to propose.

As an aside from the main question we're going to Corralejo Fuerteventura, any really nice places for a proposal?

Anyway, we have discussed at various times engagement rings when talking generally. Seems she would like to pick out her own ring when the time comes so I'm thinking of using a placeholder.

I would like something to propose with so I'm tossing up between a dress ring or a bracelet and engagement charm.

I was considering this combo, could use Parcel Motel for a UK delivery address:

http://shop.thomassabo.com/GB-en/charm-club/engagement-ring/pid/0330-051-14

http://shop.thomassabo.com/GB-en/charm-club/charm-carrier/pid/X0031-001-12

So ring or charm bracelet? :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

A ring so she can wear it until she picks her forever one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Pennythoughts

I love the charm bracelet idea as she can add charms to it as life goes on...such as a charm for when ye get married, go on honeymoon, if ye ever have kids, buy a house, live abroad etc. It would be like the tale of your relationship together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Absolutely love the idea of a charm bracelet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I'd go with the charm bracelet ... It's a lovely idea

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Charm bracelet is quite nice different. It would most defiantly be lovely if the charm ring fitted on her finger for the proposal that would be winner most defo if not id nearly say ring as it is so loverly to wear one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I think you should only go for a charm if she has a charm bracelet already. I really dislike those bracelets (Pandora et al). They are so common now. It would be much more original to get her a piece of jewelry that she would love. Maybe even a necklace with a tiny diamond or something. It could be worn every day and wouldn't take away from the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Kudos on the charm bracelet idea. I got one for my 30th birthday and it's such a special piece of jewellery.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I love the charm bracelet idea. It's so romantic and it's different too. You could give her the bracelet at the start of the holiday and then tell her you've gotten her another charm and pull out the ring!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

If she has the bracelet, I'd give her the charm. The whole idea of them being that you're building the story of your life. She'd be able to wear it even after she gets the real ring. If she got a ring, it would be nice to wear til you got the real deal. but then it would just go in a box.
    If she doesn't have the bracelet yet, then make sure she likes them though before you get get it for her. As ElleEm, I really don't like any of those charm bracelets and would be mortified if OH got me one as special occasion. I'd feel like I have to wear it because it's "special" but I'd hate it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Thanks for all the opinions so far! :)

She has a Pandora bracelet which she likes so this might be an alternate charm bracelet for her. I looked for Pandora engagement charms but I don't think they do them.

Still a bit stuck between the traditional ring for the proposal (negative being once the main ring is bought this might not get used much or at all really) or the more interesting, funky charm bracelet which will be used after the main ring is got (negative being she might prefer the old fashioned ring approach).

Decisions, decisions!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Oh how exciting!! Propose on a volcano!!

Good luck!

Personally I'd prefer the ring!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I love the charm bracelet. My mother has one like this and she has an engagement ring and wedding ring charm on it and it's beautiful. And you could put the charm in a box to propose with.

On a sun holiday she may not want to wear a ring too much- Sunscreen, Swimming etc. I know im debating wjether to take my ring with me on a sun holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

If she has a pandora bracelet already you could go with this charm

http://www.pandora.net/en-ie/explore/products/charms#!790999D/theme/~110

or this one

http://www.pandora.net/en-ie/explore/products/charms#!790549D/theme/~110

The charm bracelet is an amazing idea, but I think adding to one she already has may be better than buying a new one. She may then be torn over which one to keep adding charms to throughout her life etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

If she has a pandora bracelet already you could go with this charm

http://www.pandora.net/en-ie/explore/products/charms#!790999D/theme/~110

or this one

http://www.pandora.net/en-ie/explore/products/charms#!790549D/theme/~110

The charm bracelet is an amazing idea, but I think adding to one she already has may be better than buying a new one. She may then be torn over which one to keep adding charms to throughout her life etc.

I think this too! Or you could also get her a different pandora bracelet. I have an ordinary pandora bracelet, and an oxidised silver one, and they look great together, and I mix and match the charms. Then last year, I got a pandora bangle, and I love that too.
    As an aside, I have one of those Thomas sabo bracelets, and I'm not keen on it. I've only worn it a couple of times. I much prefer the pandora.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

The pandora club charm for 2014 is a little hinged jewellery box charm with a little heart and a diamond perhaps that might work?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Zil2011

Wellyd wrote: »
    The pandora club charm for 2014 is a little hinged jewellery box charm with a little heart and a diamond perhaps that might work?

I love this one! It looks fab and I think adding to the pandora bracelet is a great idea!

As a previous poster said you could buy her a new or different bracelet. Pandora now have a silver bangle that looks very elegant and a bit more 'dressy' than the normal bracelet.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Delira

I absolutely agree with the above posters! Seeing as she already has the pandora bracelet, I think proposing with a pandora charm would be perfect!!! :) More chance she'll really love it rather than a brand new different charm bracelet that she mightnt be too pushed about the style of.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 brassbutterfly

I would definitely go with the charm bracelet, its such a nice idea! Something to keep forever!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I wouldn't waste money on another ring/dress ring.

If you're going to spend 2000 on the engagement ring, and first buy a dress ring for a 100 that's 5% of your budget wasted.

If I was getting a dress ring I'd get a fake ring with fake diamond in marks and spencers or oasis etc for 10/15 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Oh btw! Never buy a ring/fake diamond bigger than you can afford in the real thing!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

If you buy a charm bracelet I would stay away from the Pandora one. Much better to go with the classic charm bracelet.

You could get an engagement ring charm!!!

Then add a charm every year.

Babys Coffee: the OP has said that his girlfriend already has a pandora charm bracelet that she likes to wear.

nosietoes wrote: »
    Babys Coffee: the OP has said that his girlfriend already has a pandora charm bracelet that she likes to wear.

Oh sorry I missed that.

Thanks for all the opinions so far! :)

She has a Pandora bracelet which she likes so this might be an alternate charm bracelet for her. I looked for Pandora engagement charms but I don't think they do them.

Still a bit stuck between the traditional ring for the proposal (negative being once the main ring is bought this might not get used much or at all really) or the more interesting, funky charm bracelet which will be used after the main ring is got (negative being she might prefer the old fashioned ring approach).

Decisions, decisions!! :D
    nosietoes wrote: »

Nosietoes: OP is still considering a non Pandora charm bracelet

Personally I think a traditional charm bracelet has more "charm" then the Pandora charm bracelet ;)

The Pandora charms are clunky and can be difficult to make out what they actually are. Look at the charms in the attached pic to see the level of detail in traditional charms

That's true.

Personally I wouldn't wear a pandora bracelet and love my traditional charm bracelet but if OP's girlfriend already has one and it may be meaningful then She's less likely to wear the new bracelet in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I would go with the charm idea and I so so so love Toots idea of giving her the bracelet at the start of the holiday and then when the moment is ring..... the ring charm.

Have you seen this Pandora bangle http://www.argento.co.uk/Models.aspx?ModelID=38862

and this charm

http://www.argento.co.uk/Models.aspx?ModelID=44006

Best of luck and wishing you both a wonderful life together

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply, I was away for a few days.

Firstly, thank you all for the responses and great advice, very appreciated.

I decided to go for a charm and maybe pick up a handy, cheap but not tacky dress ring so she can have something on her finger.

Loads of nice charms out there as people have pointed out but I think it might be best to stick with the Pandora brand as that's what she has already.

I have sort of fell in love with the ringbearer charm, even though it's a bit pricy for what it is. I'll probably order it today.

http://www.argento.co.uk/Models.aspx?ModelID=5476

As for the dress ring I might get something handy like this:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2328003/c_1/1|category_root|Jewellery%2Band%2Bwatches|14416987/c_2/3|19780838|Rings|14416988/c_3/4|cat_14416988|Dress%2Brings|24507648.htm

Nothng too crazy, just something to have on the finger.

This evening I must grab one of her rings so I have a size to go by.

An update for any interested.

I ordered the Pandora ringbearer charm yesterday from Argento, was dispatched yesterday evening so shouldn't take long. I'm getting it delivered to work to be safe.

Yesterday evening I went through her jewellery and snatched one of her rings so I would have her size. Must put it back this evening.

At lunchtime today I got a proposal ring in Argos, a different one to what I was looking at online, went for this - Ring

Cheap and cheerful but I'd rather spend the money on something she will probably wear in the long-term (the charm) than a ring that will get ditched when the engagement ring is bought.

Thanks again. :)

• Advertisement

An update for any interested.

I ordered the Pandora ringbearer charm yesterday from Argento, was dispatched yesterday evening so shouldn't take long. I'm getting it delivered to work to be safe.

Yesterday evening I went through her jewellery and snatched one of her rings so I would have her size. Must put it back this evening.

At lunchtime today I got a proposal ring in Argos, a different one to what I was looking at online, went for this - Ring

Cheap and cheerful but I'd rather spend the money on something she will probably wear in the long-term (the charm) than a ring that will get ditched when the engagement ring is bought.

Thanks again. :)

Best of luck! Let us all know how it goes!!

Advertisement