Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasonably priced Irish Whiskey?

Options
  • 28-04-2014 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Posted in Bargain Requests, but as I'm not a whiskey drinker, I don't know if any of the Aldi / Lidl / smaller Irish brands are any way reasonable.

Have a guest coming who likes whiskey, but is by no means a connoisseur, and will be drinking it with Red or Coke or somesuch..

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a cheapish bottle that isn't going to make him blind / rot out his gut :)

Budget of €25ish, but I'd prefer if it was nearer €20

Thanks in advance for any suggestions..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Had Clontarf 1014 from Aldi a few times and for €17 it will do exactly what you require from it if you're not a particularly big Whiskey drinker and want something just to mix with soft drinks etc. If you're a little more discerning I would recommend Black Bush for €24.99 in O'Brien's. It's a quality whiskey imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Passenger wrote: »
    Had Clontarf 1014 from Aldi a few times and for €17 it will do exactly what you require from it if you're not a particularly big Whiskey drinker and want something just to mix with soft drinks etc. If you're a little more discerning I would recommend Black Bush for €24.99 in O'Brien's. It's a quality whiskey imo.

Thanks - seems a great price, but unfortunately the nearest O'Briens is a good bit away (I'm in Dundalk)..

Tesco have the Black Bush at €26.50, but the offer ends Tuesday and I can't buy till Thursday.

Anyone else tried the Clontarf or would recommend anything else in Tesco / Dunnes / Aldi / Lidl / SuperValu etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

UsedToWait wrote: »

Have a guest coming who likes whiskey, but is by no means a connoisseur, and will be drinking it with Red or Coke or somesuch..

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a cheapish bottle that isn't going to make him blind / rot out his gut :)

A few years ago when I was seeing my ex, she got it into her head to try the dearest whiskey on sale in the pub, I think it was in Lowes. I asked the barman what she was wanting and straight away he said "Is she having a mixer?" I said coke and he told me not to waste my money in that case seeing as she was only going to waste it with the mixer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

A few years ago when I was seeing my ex, she got it into her head to try the dearest whiskey on sale in the pub, I think it was in Lowes. I asked the barman what she was wanting and straight away he said "Is she having a mixer?" I said coke and he told me not to waste my money in that case seeing as she was only going to waste it with the mixer :)

Exactly.
    I just don't want to poison the poor fella.
    There's a big difference in a paint thinners cheap vodka and a reasonable one, and I'm assuming there's a similar profile in entry level whiskeys

• Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Exactly.
    I just don't want to poison the poor fella.

Then don't give him the mixer :p
    There's a big difference in a paint thinners cheap vodka and a reasonable one, and I'm assuming there's a similar profile in entry level whiskeys

Fair point. Maybe just have a drop of Powers or Kilbeggan or Cooleys; good name whiskeys which are easy gotten and normal prices but just not Bushmills or Jameson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

How much is Crested Ten these days. Always a lovely, well priced whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Bushmills White & Paddy currently 22.99 in O@Briens

Paddy seems to the a big one for those who mix their whiskey with red.

Clontarf would be fine too for a mixer. Not sure about tesco own brand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kexiled

If you have a Supervalu in your town, there is normally either Powers or Bushmills or Tullamore Dew on offer for €20 - €22. All of those are of a good standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭squonk

I'd go with the Paddy for mixers. Maybe the Aldi/Lidle3 brands also though. Mind you, I think the distillery in Louth (can't remember their name now) produce whiskey for either Lidl or Aldi and they've a good name. Paddy is idaeal. Anything else with a mixer is a waste of good whiskey!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Has anyone tried the Clontarf from Aldi or the Highland Black ( not Irish I know ), usually pick up bottles from the duty free as I commute a good bit, but nearly out of Teeling and Nikka and just wanna pick up something cheap up to tie me over as have family coming over who like drinking whiskey but really do not appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Xenji wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Clontarf from Aldi or the Highland Black ( not Irish I know ), usually pick up bottles from the duty free as I commute a good bit, but nearly out of Teeling and Nikka and just wanna pick up something cheap up to tie me over as have family coming over who like drinking whiskey but really do not appreciate it.

Clontarf is fine. It will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭donaghs

Lidl have original Bushmills (white) for €19.99 at the moment.

Advertisement